To deinterlace or not... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 15th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Major Player

To deinterlace or not...

When exporting a interlaced DV project and watching it on an LCD monitor you can noticet the lines on fast movements (especially a black and white band video I just finished with fast drum beats etc)...If I deinterlace this, it will look fine on a PC, but how will it look on a normal TV? If I burn this interlaced export to DVD to give them to watch on their TVs, how will it look?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Two things:

1) Some mediaplayers and software DVD players can be set to deinterlace interlaced footage on the fly during playback. Some do it better than others ad some can use hardware support from the graphics card to assist in the process (for example, google "purevideo" from Nvidia)

2) If you deinterlace the footage, you will loose some resolution, particularly if you use a "dumb" field blend deinterlacer.

However, there are "smart" software deininterlacers that can retain much of the original resolution while producing a progressive end result. Such footage played onDVD can look very very nice on both a regular TV or LCD.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #3
Major Player

I have noticed that Windows Mediia Player deinterlaces it while Winamp doesn't, does this mean that WMP's video quality is slightly lossier?

Should I leave the footage as is? Will it look as "lined" on a TV as it does on my PC when watching it in Winamp?

Which is a good software deinterlacer I should use? Can I use it straight in Premiere or will it be an intermediary?
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #4
Trustee

It won't look lined on a CRT TV, because that's an interlaced display mode.

I would leave it as is.

If you want to start experimenting however, Premiere has a deinterlace option built in - hit the help button and search for 'deinterlace' to see how.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
However, there are "smart" software deininterlacers that can retain much of the original resolution while producing a progressive end result. Such footage played on DVD can look very very nice on both a regular TV or LCD.
Thanks for the info, but could you please suggest a few of those "smart" software deinterlacers?

I use the deinterlacer in TMPGenc 2.5, and sometimes it produces amazing film-like results, but yes, at the cost of some resolution loss (and image definition). I would definitely like to try some other deinterlacer that would provide a higher quality result.
J.B. Soler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Major Player

J.B.,

DVFilm Maker
Red Giant Software Magic Bullet Suite
Nattress
RevisionFX FieldsKit
Sony Vegas does a decent job, within the NLE

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Does Premiere's inhouse deinterlacer do it smartly, or fast...cutting the resolution down?
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Aviv,

Premiere's is the worst I have seen. In fact, because it just blends, you can still have interlacing artifacts after the deinterlace... just low-res blurry artifacts.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Trustee

Here's an excellent freeware option, provided you know how to use avisynth scripts:

http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/...erneldeint.htm
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite