Avid and DVRack? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 8th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Avid and DVRack?

I have a client who would like me to record a program for them. They will edit this program on their Avid system and have requested OMF files.

DVRack does not offer OMF file format recording. (Why not?)

Do Avid editors use DVRack? If so, what DVRack file formats work best on the Avid timeline? Do these files require rendering when opened on the Avid timeline?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks,
Paul
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #2
New Boot

I'm an Avid Xpress Pro user and a DVRack (with HDV Powerpack) user. I use Avid's import command to bring in clips from DVRack.

While I haven't tried this with DVRack without the HDV Powerpack, I would guess that it would work. Test it a couple of times to see which DV Rack file format option works best: Quicktime, AVI, etc..
Jay Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your response Jay,

I guess you are importing HDV files from the DVRack?

The problem is that I do not have an Avid system and have no way to test if it can import AVI or QuickTime files without requiring rendering. The DVRack files would be recorded for my client who has requested OMF files. He is not able to tell me if he can import any other file types without rendering.

I would go over and do a test, but he is located in Alabama and I am in Florida, so, I sent him a drive with some test files and will see what happens.

Thanks anyway,
Paul
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #4
New Boot

Yes, M2T files.

Though I'm not a long time user, I've never had any problem importing Quicktime files into Avid.

Your original question is a good one, though. OMF files don't seem to have much support outside Avid. Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Good luck with your client.
Jay Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks - it's good to know that you have been able to import QuickTime files and use them. I'll pass this along to my client.

The only other direct to disk recording device that I know of to support OMF is the Firestore. I have the FS-1.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Serious Magic

According to the Avid product manager, the OMF format is a "dead" format. Serious Magic did try to get some kind of SDK from Avid to include the OMF format in DV Rack, but was told one didn't exist anymore. 8-(
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Interesting about OMF being outdated.

My client has not tested the AVI and .mov samples I sent, hopefully they will work.

Thanks for your help.
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Serious Magic

It certainly surprised us as developers. OMF files are still used by thousands of Avids out there. We still would like to support capture to this format, but do not want to have to reverse-engineer the file format.
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

That's progress...
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Avid is now using the MXF format. You can still capture OMF's in standard definition but if you have a HD system, MXF is the only option.

Most formats can be imported by Avid and Avid will do the OMF conversion for you.
Michael Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #11
Serious Magic

We are researching a way of writing a QuickTime file that will import very fast into Avid systems. I hope to have more information soon.
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #12
Contributor

A little background - Avid OMF format has been superceded by MXF format, because Avid can support HD and SD resolutions on this more generic metafile format. Unfortunately while being in Avid codec in a QT format will allow fast import, it will not allow you to drag the files directly to the media folder which would be the vastly preferred option.
Karl I believe MXF is being used by a bunch of manufacturers like Sony etc - and is supported by many different NLE's. Wouldn't it be preferable to concentrate on this format - I'm sure there is an SDK available.
PS _ I'm very surprised Avid don't have and SDK for OMF - as you pointed out there are still thousands of users out there. It would still seem very relevant as officially it is still supported even on the newer systems.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #13
Serious Magic

MXF is an interesting animal, and there are actually sub-formats within MXF itself. Sony uses one type of MXF, Avid uses another, and Panasonic uses a third. All the files are called MXF files, but different metadata is stored in different places within the file.

Snell and Wilcox maintains a site with various MXF tools, if you are interested in checking it out - http://mxf.snellwilcox.com/
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Tourist

I believe the Avid OMF video format is just a Quicktime compressed with one of Avid's codecs (some of which can be downloaded from Avid's website) and with additional metadata.

I believe you can rename an OMF file to .mov and Quicktime will play it.
Dylan Reeve is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite