Glass breaking effect? Urgent! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 15th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Glass breaking effect? Urgent!

Hi,

I'm shooting something for a client who wants the first shot to be of a picture on a wall, and then the picture breaks to pieces (like broken glass) and the pieces fall on the floor. The next shot is of the pieces on the floor like they were pieces of a puzzle that starts being put together by a child. Is there any default effect for Premiere Pro or After Effect to simulate this? I know this could be done with layers on after effects but this would take too long and I don't have the time. I'll be shooting next thursday and I need to be sure of what I'm doing by then. It would be ideal to do some texts this weekend...so, please, don't be shy and give me what you got.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Want to hire the effect out? we could do it. Photoreal done in lightwave3d
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Major Player

There is a "shatter" effect in After Effects that simulates glass or other stuff shattering to pieces. You have to mess with the physics to get it to drop downward, but it may work for you.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #4
Major Player

AE Particle Playground will do something very close.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

my suggestion would be to do this manually, as long as we're not talking a hundred pieces here. the problem i've always had with the after effects particle plugins for this kind of work is the lack of control like you would have in a 3d app (forces, collisions, deflectors, and real physics simulations), and that they can tend to make a previsualized effect like the one you're talking about a little too chaotic, random, and difficult to control for a convincing effect. provided there are only a couple of dozen pieces, i can't imagine doing the effect manually would take you longer than an afternoon. my two cents.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Trustee

I'm sure there are plenty of recipes on the web for candied glass that you can break...then you can get clear plastic/rubbery stuff you can cut into broken glass looking pieces for the actor to put back together without having to worry about them getting cut. I don't know where you can get the plastic/rubber stuff...but someone here should. When cut together, the audience won't know that they are made from a different material (assuming the soft stuff has enough rigidity to not flop around when picked up).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite