Creating a Mask in PPro 1.5's Titler at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Creating a Mask in PPro 1.5's Titler

I need some help. I have a video clip in Video 1, also a video clip in video 2. I'm trying to create a mask in video 2 that shows just a person and blocks out everything else in video 2. However I would like everything in video 1 to show through making it appear that the person in video 2 is in the whole picture in video 1. No edges showing. I know it can be done in After Effects. I don't how to use AE. I've seen examples of objects, people, etc being cut out of a video clip and then overlayed into another video clip. That would be great. But right now I'm limited. Is it possible to achive what I want to do in PPRO 1.5's Titler? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, you could probably draw the right shape in the titler, but I would not do it that way. I would probably use the 16 point garbage matte on a copy of the clip of the person in a new sequence. After getting the shape right all along the sequence using keyframes, I would change the levels to show it as all white. Superimpose that on a black matte. Then use that sequence as the track matte in the "main" sequence. You might want to blur the nested sequence so that the edges will be softer.
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Steven
Thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions creating the 16 point garbage matte with success. Everything is correct along the sequence using keyframes. Now when I get to the changing the levels to show it as all white portion I'm alittle confused. Do you mean the part of the video showing the person or the surrounding area that is now black, or both those areas. I can get the area with the person to show all white but not the surrounding area. If you can tell me how to do it, if I'm doing it wrong. Also once that all done and it's in the main sequence as the track matte do I apply a key to one of the clips and tell it to use on of the tracks. Thanks again I really appreciate all your help.

Sincerely
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Trustee

Ok, let's see if I can explain it better.

When you use the garbage matte, all that is left is the picture of the person. Use Levels or some other color correction tool to make the person all white.

This should be on track two. Put a black video on track one.

Now you should have what looks like a black and white image with mostly black and the person is all white.

When you use this sequence nested in another, it makes a great track matte.

Just remember, next time use a green screen so you can just key the person out of the video and composite them on to a new video. It is much easier.

By the way, if a 16 point matte is not enough points, you can always export the clip as a numbered series and work on every frame in Photoshop. One at a time.
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Steven
I did all that you said. Putting the black video on track one and the levels adjusted clip on track two. So far So good. When I bring it over to the main sequence and put it on track two with the the main clip on track one the clip on track two still shows the white image with the black area to the side. The person does not show through. Ok..I tried an experiment. I went back to the other sequence and took out the black video and the levels leaving just the clip with the 16 piont matte. I brought that clip over to the main sequence. Success. The person showed through with no problem. I don't know if I was doing something wrong with your instructions but the bottom line is I have success. Thank you for helping me get on the right track. I appreciate it.

Sincerely
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite