Premiere Pro support for Canon XL H1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard
It would be cool if Adobe gets to that level and their own intermediate codec
MainConcept has announced MPEG Pro HD 2.0 for Premiere Pro 2.

See http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=7862

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #17
Wrangler

I'm not sure that Adobe hasn't already done that. I've noticed, but not yet played with this...if you go to Project Settings>>Video Rendering, the Previews portion of the dialog has a drop-down for file format with the following choices:

- I-Frame only MPEG-2 (the default)
- Uncompressed 10-bit (4:2:2 YUV)
- Adobe Wavelet Codec

Will have to play with those settings and see how the timeline performs. Otherwise, if I'm misunderstanding what this dialog box means, I actually hope that Adobe DOESN'T decide to develop their own intermediate codec. There are several codecs either already out there or about to be (eg Canopus, Cineform, RED) and I'd much rather see whichever turns out to be the best of them emerge as an industry standard (HA -- "industry standard" is just about an oxymoron nowadays, eh?)...so, ok, maybe a "defacto standard" that is freely available as MS DV AVI has become for miniDV users. IMHO, Adobe would do better to invest more in fixing bugs quicker and having a better interface with their customers about known issues.

This also got me to wondering. As computers get faster, I wonder if the extra power needed to decode GOPs on the fly will soon become such a small part of the whole preview/edit process that it won't really much matter? If internal computations are done intra-frame, uncompressed, and the GOP decode is no longer a big hit, why bother to transcode the initially captured source file to a much larger file?

But then again, I suppose we will all continue to want to edit in the highest resolution, chroma sampling, and bit depth that our hardware and software will support. If my camera, computer, and software could all do 2K 4:4:4 in 10bit, I'd be doing that...and using a GOP format for that would be a LOT of overhead!

In the meantime, I've found that what is currently a "fast" system will handle a couple of streams of Canon F mode HDV quite adequately.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glaeser
MainConcept has announced MPEG Pro HD 2.0 for Premiere Pro 2.
Hmmm, I wonder if this also means that an update for the buggy Adobe Media Encoder is not far away?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #19
Trustee

Anyone know if that Mainconcept codec supports Canon 24F and to what extent?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #20
Trustee

Premiere export to tape 24F/25F? Gotta be a way!

I know I'm not supposed to double thread, so I'm simply posting a link to another thread that is XL H1 related. I hope this is ok, because I was not sure where to put it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...161#post548161
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #21
Trustee

H1 24f and Premiere Pro cs3?

I know this is a grey area as the question is about software "and" the H1, but can anyone tell me if you are using the H1 in 24f mode and editing in premiere cs3? I cannot find any native support for 24f in the software. In Ppro 2.0 they had a download that added 24f support natively in HDV. Now....nothing. I assumed that since it was added to PPro2 that Cs3 would have it already integrated.

I even read on the Adobe board that it is not supported. I tried to make custom presets and it is locked at 25fps or 29.97. There is no 24f support at all.

I know with Cineform I can have 24f support but that is another $499 on top of the CS3 upgrade. How can Adobe take away a supported format from the previous version?

Peace.
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #22
Major Player

Marty, I am using Cineform so for me 24F works. However, I was looking at the settings and indeed could not find a way to select 24F.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #23
Trustee

I installed the presets for the Canon that were intended for Premiere Pro 2.0 and initially it seems to work. However, someone in the Premiere forum did the same and is reporting an audio sync issue.....5 seconds I think he said. I have to test further and see if I see the same.

I do have Cineform but was wanting to do some native work also.

Peace.
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Matrox RT.X2 Can

I have been looking into building a Matrox RT.X2 for work and I have been reading that it supports Canon's 24f 1080i resolution. See their specifications here:
http://www.matrox.com/video/products...ew_rtx2_30.pdf

Page 2, half way down.

They now have drivers for Adobe CS3 on a Windows XP machine. No Vista support yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite