transitions and safe-area? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 29th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #1
Major Player

transitions and safe-area?

The last couple projects I've done have looked lousy on TV's with little or no overscan because the transitions don't fill the frame. (I'm using Premiere 6.5 btw).

Is there a way around this?

Here is a sample of what I mean. (it's a low-rez wmv, but you can see what the problem is...there is a black perimeter that appears during all transitions then disappears on either end)

(right-click and save-as)

http://home.comcast.net/~rikert4/opening2.wmv

Thanks for any help!

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Major Player

heloo?

Bump:

The clip is less than 30 seconds long, it's really short, but you can see the problem I'm talking about. If you're worried about viruses or whatever, I suppose I could post it on youtube or something.

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Trustee

I had a look at the clip ... one possibility is that the project settings and/or the export file settings are such that the rendered footage (within the transitions) is a slightly different size or pixel ratio from the original footage.

For example, assuming you began with NTSC DV, your project and export should both be set to 720 x 480 with a 0.9 pixel aspect ratio.

Did that help at all?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've seen this happen with Xplode transitions. Are you using premieres xsitions? or a third party?
Usually with third party xsitions you can adjust overscan so you don't have this problem.
Enrique Galvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks...

Thanks for the replies. I'm using Premiere 6.5, which came with my (now outdated, hehe) Pinnacle Pro-One RTDV card. I typically use the RT transitions provided by Pinnacle for the RT capabilities, however, I will use the Premiere standard transitions and see if they also do that weird clipping.

I played the same DVD on my regular Tube TV and the problem wasn't even remotely evident. Some plasmas and DLP's these days have little or no overscan though and I'm a little worried.

Either way, thanks for the replies. I'm a writer, not a techie guy, but I did this guy's wedding as a favor. I probably shouldn't be too obsessed with making it perfect, but there's nothing wrong with getting as close as I can.

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite