does anyone capture and edit with an external hard drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Major Player

does anyone capture and edit with an external hard drive?

I'm thinking of getting a 7200rpm external drive. Would I get the same performance if I used this to edit from instead of the 7200rpm internal hard drive I currently use?
thanks
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, I use an external 250gb drive via USB 2.0. Capturing and editing work perfectly.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've had some difficulty, with my USB 2.0 drives as a capture drive. I haven't yet been able to put my finger on the problem. Without warning, I get the big blue screen of death,,, I do fine with on board drives, so I can only relate it to something with drives. I am running a Dual Core 3800 + with 2 gig of memory, and have updated all the bios and software, and I am still having the problem. One drive is a Maxtor One Touch, the other I built with and Adaptec enclosure, both with 160 gig drives. Anybody got any ideas ?
Old July 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne
I'm thinking of getting a 7200rpm external drive. Would I get the same performance if I used this to edit from instead of the 7200rpm internal hard drive I currently use?
thanks
While you definitely won't get the same performance from an external USB 2.0 hard drive as you will from an internal hard drive, the speed of an external USB 2.0 drive should still be sufficient for DV editing.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I edit DV and HDV all the time using external USB 2.0 HDs. When you consider the speed of USB 2.0, it's far greater than needed for 1,2 or 3 streams of video under most circumstances.

Typically, the HD will not be your limiting factor unless you're working with far less compressed formats...

Best,

Benjamin

----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.neo-fight.tv [The "Techno-Debate" Video Podcast]
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

i run a 400gb, a 160gb, and a 250gb external drive through extra firewire ports and another 80gb external on usb 2.0...all work fine for me...just a small lag on the firewire drive when one decides to "go to sleep" from non-use but thats it...
Chris Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #7
New Boot

No Problems Here

I capture to a 200gb Maxtor External HD over firewire via my Panny AGDVC30 hooked up to the other firewire port on the HD and I haven't had any problems with it

James
James McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Strange enough, even 4200 rpm external (USB) 2.5 inch hard drives connected to laptops work fine (I am talking from my personal experience) despite of what you would normally think... of course, when editing, your speed will be reduced, but other than that, any external drive will work.
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Major Player

thanks for your help guys, it will certainly save me some time to be able to use my external drives to edit from now on.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite