Audio Loops on Some Captured Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 30th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio Loops on Some Captured Footage

Hi,

I'm having a big problem with audio repeating on some of my tapes. I'm shooting with an HD100 in HDV 720p24 and editing with PPro 2.0. I know there are some timecode breaks on some tapes because of an occassional bad connection with my Anton-Bauer battery adapter.

Here's the problem: Whether I capture these tapes with CapDVHS or PPro, PPro will show the Video and Audio in sync for X amount of time (X is always the same for each tape, but changes across tapes), then in the timeline and in the preview the video will progress while the audio repeats from the beginning of the tape to the same point. The audio seems to loop throughout the rest of the file.

But here's the kicker. The file, itself, is actually just fine. I can play the captured footage in Windows Media Player and the audio plays just fine and in sync.

I'm thinking that PPro plays until the first timecode break and then the audio loops. If that's the case, how can I fix or replace the timecode (which I should be doing anyway)?

Any other ideas for why this happens?

Thanks a lot,

-Joe
Joe Barbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Other folk have had this problem too, and it might be fixed by just deleating the preview files, and reconforming the clip. It didn't work for me however, and I ended up recapturing the clip.
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the response. I captured the same tape twice - in CapDVHS and PPro. In both versions of the file it does the exact same thing. So I think it has something to do with the data on the tape.

-Joe
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I had all sorts of stuff going on at the same time, so it's hard to say where the root was. However, I'm at about 90% operating satisfaction with the way PP2 is handling HDV, even if it is a little slow because of my system. So, I can't really complain, having done DV and 3D rendering on a very old PC. It's all reletive ;)
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:46 PM   #5
New Boot

I can separate out the audio using MediaCoder and then bring the audio back into PPro separately. But then I've got to deal with sync issues and I have to rerender to have a working copy that can go into my final piece.

Isn't there anything I can do to get PPro to deal with this properly? Or is there some tool I can use that can make new timecode on an mpg file?

-Joe
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Can't help you there. I figured it would just be quicker to recapture the clips I needed, than it was to search for another program, try it, and have to look for another. Like I said, it worked fine the next time, probably because I wasn't doing other things while capturing it.
Old July 31st, 2006, 05:30 PM   #7
New Boot

I appreciate your help. But this must be a different situation than you've experienced.

As I wrote, I've already captured one of the bad tapes twice using two different programs to do the capture. Both times on my new 3.0 Gigahertz Dual core PC with nothing else running. PPro treats both captured files the exact same way. I don't think it's the capturing. However it's captured, PPro will treat it the same way. The problem is with the data on the tape.

-Joe
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Joe,

I would take Keith's advice. I remember having some capturing issues a while back when I was still running on a slower machine. I am not saying your machine is slow, but it's Windows... What I did at that time is this: I captured using Windows Movie Maker and it solved my problem; the CPU usage dropped to about 25% compared to Premiere running at 100% - of course, that was DV and not HD so you can't use Movie Maker, but it might be the same issue.

What I'm saying is, give it a try and capture again, making sure there are absolutely no other programs running in the background. PPro 2.0 is extremely power hungry!

And one more thing: turn off the scene detect feature when capturing. Since the file plays fine in WMPlayer, you more than likely have some sort of communication error between the file and PPro, PPro not being able to correctly interpret not the footage itself but some additional digital data.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite