Workflow question inside Premiere... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 29th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #16
Major Player

Cross dissolve on 2 tracks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek
...I still haven't figured out how to do a nice cross-dissolve between two clips on separate tracks (can it even be done?).

Matt
I've been able to do it with "Dip to Black", and haven't tried it specifically with Cross Dissolve, but I imagine it would be a similar approach.

I put a dip-to-black on track 2, ending it with the clip. then, on track 1, I added another dip-to-black, but in Source Monitor/Effects Controls tab, I changed the A/Begin and B/end sliders so A begins in the middle range, i.e. at black, and B ends with the image of the frame on track 1. In simpler terms, move the slider for image A to the middle, and the slider for image B to the extreme right.

I believe it should work. If you try it, please let us know what happens.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm a bit confused by this thread. Let me start with my process quickly.

I put all the source files in a folder usually called 'Raw Footage'. I also create a folder for each scene, and one for miscellanous clips.

Then scanning the footage in the source window, I make subclips, putting them in the appropriate scene's folder. Each is descriptively named. Sometimes I will throw the clip on a test sequence so that I can see the audio wave form. It is sometimes quicker to find dialog from the waveform. Note, you can only create subclips from the source window.

Then the scenes are assembled, and the scenes are assembled into the product. Color correction and audio enhancement is part of the scene creation.

So comments like not using the source window are pretty perplexing to me.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Christopher & Steven: VLC question

OK, I uninstalled every other player (except Windows Media Player, I don't think it can be unistalled since it's part of the operating system... or can it?), and "converted" to VLC.

I love it so far, but it won't start automatically when clicking on an link on the internet... any solutions, anything I need to set in preferences? I am talking PC here - I have to download media files first and then play them from the downloaded file... I kind of miss that function of WinMediaPlayer...

Thanks,
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #19
Major Player

Source monitor v Program monitor and Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
I'm a bit confused by this thread. ... comments like not using the source window are pretty perplexing to me.
David,
As I understand things, the user interface for PPro 2 is different from earlier versions of Premiere, though I've never used an earlier version, so I'm not 100% positive that's the case. PPro 2 has a "Project" panel that is basically a list of the files that you want to use in a project. However, in order to view the content of those files, one must use at least 1 of PPro 2's "built-in monitors" to actually view the files. PPro 2 has 3 such "monitors": the "Source" monitor, the "Program" monitor, and the "Multi-Camera" monitor.

The "Source" monitor allows viewing of the content of files listed in the Project panel, BEFORE they are placed on the Timeline. Therfore, simply including a file in the Project panel does NOT mean it will automatically be part of the final product. In order for that to happen, a file - or part of a file - MUST be moved to the TImeline.

The "correlation" seems to be that the Program monitor can be used to view only clips/files/part(s) of file(s) included on the Timeline, while the Source monitor will display files that are either in the Project panel, or already included in the Timeline.

Despite the "Source" monitor being available, PPro 2 also allows files listed in the Project "panel" to be dragged/included directly onto the Timeline without first being "staged" or "shortened" within the Source monitor. It's not necessary to use the Source monitor. That seems to be the point raised earlier in this thread - that some folks skip the step of using the Source monitor altogether.

If I understand you correctly, it seems as if you're already using the Source monitor. Some might suggest that the Source monitor adds steps to the workflow, but I think it really boils down to what makes the individual editor most comfortable. If the process you're using does that for you, then stick with it. After all, the editor needs to feel a sense of full control over the finished product. If your process gives you that, then "keep on trucin'."
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
I love it so far, but it won't start automatically when clicking on an link on the internet... any solutions, anything I need to set in preferences? I am talking PC here - I have to download media files first and then play them from the downloaded file... I kind of miss that function of WinMediaPlayer...
What browser are you using?
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #21
Major Player

Once you've created subclips or duplicates, you can just drag them to the timeline. Same as FCP. However, first you need to create the subclips!

If you use the the Source window to create multiple instances (inserting multiple times from the same source), the clip instances can be harder to maintain. They don't appear in the project window.

What I'm indicating, is that to have a managable environment, you need to divide into workable parts. A 30 minute timeline composed of hundreds of 2-15 second clip instances is not managable, IMHO.

The source windows can also be used for fine tuning the in and out points of a clip instance. Once the clip instance is loaded there (by double clicking on it in the timeline) you can adjust it independently of the timeline.

There is a reference monitor, which I find useful for color correction. I think the multicamera is new...however I've only done single camera shoots. I wonder if it may speed scene creation by putting each actors takes in a different camera.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko
I've been able to do it with "Dip to Black", and haven't tried it specifically with Cross Dissolve, but I imagine it would be a similar approach.

I put a dip-to-black on track 2, ending it with the clip. then, on track 1, I added another dip-to-black, but in Source Monitor/Effects Controls tab, I changed the A/Begin and B/end sliders so A begins in the middle range, i.e. at black, and B ends with the image of the frame on track 1. In simpler terms, move the slider for image A to the middle, and the slider for image B to the extreme right.

I believe it should work. If you try it, please let us know what happens.
I'll give it a go with Cross-dissolve this week and see how it looks. Silly me for not thinking of that, since I use the same darn technique to fade titles in and out!!!

This has been a pretty informative thread for me. For my current project I went with using the Source monitor for setting clip in/out points. It's working pretty well, especially since there are large bits I need to cut out (it's a show, and usually I don't have to do too much cutting...) this time. I kinda wish that the source monitor were bigger, but I've been piping it out to a TV I use for that type of thing (just bought a new AC for the house--no chance of getting a proper monitor!!). Convenience wise, it seems a bit more convenient to set the in/out points in the Source monitor, vs. razoring clips in the sequence (less overall keystrokes, don't forget to change from razor to clip selector to rolling edit, etc). I have to say, it does seem to make my editing work flow easier.

I really appreciate all the input on this thread. Reading a book is pretty decent for information/learning, but input from people on different ways they really work during an edit session helps a whole bunch!

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
What browser are you using?
I am using IE with SlimBrowser running on top of it.
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
I am using IE with SlimBrowser running on top of it.
Okay, second question: Did you choose to associate VLC media player with video formats during the install process? That option is not selected by default. If not, you can run the install again (no need to uninstall the player before installing it).

Even at that, Windows Media file extensions WMV and ASF are there, but WVX and ASX are not. I know VLC media player can open .WVX files because I tried it. Your next best option would be to tell your browser what program you wish to associate with certain file extensions on download. Firefox/Netscape and Opera offer this feature, but apparently Internet Explorer/SlimBrowser do not.

If you didn't associate VLC media player with video formats on install, you can try running the install again and selecting that option, and see how that affects Windows Media files in Internet Explorer. If it still doesn't work, I don't know of any other option but to move to another browser.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 11:30 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Adios VLC

OK, so much for VLC... I have re-installed it checking each and every possible function... Then I got on the VLC community page, others are asking the same question, no one bothers to respond. There's good advice on how to embedd VLC in your own webpage, but apparently it won't open regular media links. True, it plays all kinds of files located on my PC, but that's it.

VLC is now where it belongs, in the trash can... since it won't play Real Media anyway, I have to use three players to be able to play all three major streaming file formats (wma/wmv, Real, and QT). So if I re-install QT I'm back to where I started off, and will be able to play everything I need to play.

I'm just too used to IE to give it up - with SlimBrowser running on top of it, it has sooo many functions, a lazy guy like me just can't live without...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite