old VHS footage Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

old VHS footage Workflow

Hello all,
I have a question I hope someone can give me a few pointers. I have allot of old footage on VHS tapes and I'm capturing the footage on my computer and making DVD's. I'm use to my HDV footage and don't need to do much to it to make it look good but with this footage I'm not sure what to do and what plugins to use I know without seeing the footage it's hard to say but if you can give me a few tips I start from there. Thank's for any advice you all can give.

Chet
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Trustee

To be honest, even though I own Premiere I find the freeware Virtualdub and Avisynth much more convenient for the kind of processing you are doing.

You will want to do color and contrast correction, temporal and spatial noise smoothing, and probably chroma noise smoothing - nice freeware filters for all of those are available for both Vdub and avisynth and there's a good introductory guide here: http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/cleaning.ars

I assume Premier has similar filters available, so otehrs will proably give you some advice there.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Major Player

I always got the best results capturing VHS at Half D1 (352x480 for NTSC) for long programs and/or video with a lot of motion. It more closely matches the VHS resolution and actually looks better than creating a bunch of extra pixels.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm no expert.....
I used an old vhs camera to shoot a short film last year and captured the footage directly to dv tape using my sony dv camera and a vcr. Then I had dv to work with in PPro 1.5
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank's all for the suggestions. I tried VirtualDub but keep getting this one error with this one filter 2D Cleaner Optimized 0.9 so I'm not sure. Premire don't have the same plugins so I'm not sure where to look. Thank's again all for the help.

Chet
Chad Solo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite