transitions not working on high definition footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

transitions not working on high definition footage

I have a Canon hv10 and downloaded footage into Premiere. I have problems with some transitions, for example, cross dissolve, between clips. It shows up on the timeline, in the effects panel, but when I play the clips, there is no transition. Oddly enough, some 3 D transitions will work, although not smoothly. I did make a mistake and downloaded the hd video into Premiere as a 780 progressive hdv instead of the 1080i. Still burned and played ok. Thought I would ask if anyone else had this problem before downloading it correctly and seeing if that helped. I will take more video soon and download it as 1080i to see if that takes care of it. These are just quick copies of field hockey games right now, but I do plan to make a highlights dvd next month of the season and would like to do more with effects, etc.

Thanks for your time,

Leslie
Leslie Dopkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You did not say what version of PP you had, but I don't believe that HD transitions can be done with PP 1.5.1. You must use the Aspect HD transitions. PP 2.0 I think has HD transitions.

Mike
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mike,

I have PP2, and in the video transition list there is not a specific catagory for high definition transitions. Trial and error shows that some work and some don't. Any idea why? And I am unfamiliar with Aspect transitions.

Thanks -

Leslie
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Leslie,

Hard to really say without knowing more. Are there sufficient frames on either side to do the transition you have chosen? Do you render them?

I'm on the road right now, and do have PP 2.0 with me, only 1.5. Maybe Pete will chime in.

Mike
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I just tried various 3D and standard transitions on a 1080i file, and had no problems. This is in Premiere Pro 2.0
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Glad to hear it works for you Chris! So that means that I may be having problems because I stupidly brought my 1080i footage in as 780p. I shot some video last night and will bring it in as 1080i and hopefully that will take care of my problems.

With the hd footage on the timeline, I really don't see frames as I did with standard dv, and thus haven't figured out how PP2 is doing the transition. I don't get the insufficient media error though either ...

Mike and Chris -Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will post what happens.

Leslie
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, still same problem even with the 1080i. I apply a cross dissolve and it shows up on the timeline and in the effects panel but doesn't play. Now there is a diagonal line accross the effect in the timeline which I know means there is a problem. But what? My timeline is hd video so I see no frames. I rendered the work area, but still the cross dissolve did not play. And it still had the diagonal line accross it. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Leslie

I am using PP2
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Also ...

The video and audio are not in sync on this clip either. I deleted the whole project and will start again. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? I have done standard dv with PP2 and it has been fine. Just learning it of course, but didn't have the audio/video mismatch problems when I brought it into the project as hd video 780p - just the transition problem. My choices to capture are the 1080i at 30fps or 25fps, and I chose 30fps. Now in PP2 it lists these as Sony 1080i and I have a Canon HV10. Could this be a problem?

Thanks,

Leslie
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dopkiss
The video and audio are not in sync on this clip either. I deleted the whole project and will start again. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? I have done standard dv with PP2 and it has been fine. Just learning it of course, but didn't have the audio/video mismatch problems when I brought it into the project as hd video 780p - just the transition problem. My choices to capture are the 1080i at 30fps or 25fps, and I chose 30fps. Now in PP2 it lists these as Sony 1080i and I have a Canon HV10. Could this be a problem?

Thanks,

Leslie
Seeing as I use Sony Camera (FX1), I can't answer that question. Have you checked the Adobe upgrade site. I saw there is an plugin in the upgrade area for the new Canon progressive cameras, maybe that might help, though it seems specific to the A1--

Otherwise, have you considered

1. uninstall reinstall ?

2. If your system is rated for HDV editing based on minimum specs.

3. Ask in the HV1 forum if there are problems and how to resolve.

Edit: Here is one thread on it: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77589

Ask those users.
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris for answering.

I built this system according to the Adobe specs for PP2, so hopefully I didn't make some stupid error. I could install and uninstall and will if it doesn't resolve. I will go over to the hv10 thread and check it out from the camcorder end.

Appreciate your help.

Leslie
Leslie Dopkiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite