Why do you use Premiere Pro 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why do you use Premiere Pro 2

BESIDES THE FACT THAT IT IS ON PC AND NOT MAC... why do you use Premiere Pro 2 over, say, FCP? I know the interfaces are similar. Is FCP much better? If they offered FCP for PC, which woulld you choose?
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #2
Trustee

FCP. I love the interface, but in terms of stability, Premiere has a ways to go. It's crashed for me since day 1, version 6.5. This is similar with all of Adobe's products (minus photoshop, as I never seem to push it that much).
Old November 30th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Trustee

PP has easy image manipulation but it is generally very buggy and requires 3rd party plugs for many workflows. FCP is UNRIVALED in its ability to work with various formats, codecs, etc. NATIVELY. You can edit Varicam, HVX, uncompressed, etc. all right out of the box, generally in real time and without conversions, plug-ins, etc.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I spent a day going from the adobe stand to the fcp stand to the avid stand at an exhibition - sitting and watching the demos. I'd used Avid a bit, but only in somebody elses suite, and I'd been using 6.5 for a while. I had no real preference, and indeed - each demo I watched turned me, then the next tuened me again. The people doing the demos are really skilled, so I worked on the assumption that they would not demo any of the areas of weakness. I need to do multi camera editing, and I was most impressed by the fcp and Premier sessions. In the end, I couldn't decide, so went with Adobe - as I already had photoshop and 6.5 and got on with them, this seemed sensible.

PP2 has been stable -never crashing once. Mind you, the computer is not connected to the net, and only has adobe and sony soundforge on it. No office stuff, no freeware, nothing!

It does what it says on the box, with no problems at all. I'm very happy with it. No doubt the other two players have features I don't have - but so far, I'm not bothered. I don't send my files to anybody else - so cross compatability isn't an issue.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Paul is absolutely right. I have an old AMD PC, only 1.6 GHz processor but lots of RAM (2 GB). I can run PPRO 1.5, Encore DVD, Audition, and Photoshop all at the same time (only using one at a time, of course), without crashes for days and days!

The secret is, and this is where Paul hit the nail: wipe your drive clean, install XP with no junk (aka service packs), install your drivers and your software. NEVER connect to the internet, never install any freeware or any other unnecessary software. It will work like a charm!
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Trustee

Long timelines of nested sequences and plugins such as AspectHD are where things get ugly. I have a quadcore Opteron workstation with 4 gigs of ram and 1tb of space and Premiere still finds excuses to quit out on me. I don't have "junk" on my computer, just editing and audio applications. And to think that connecting to the internet affects the stability of an application is rather silly. I worked at a cable channel for a summer and all of their Avid Composer stations were internet connected. Maybe I can see supplying that suggestion to someone that doesn't know they really haven't won an Xbox, but c'mon...please.
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Trustee

When I produced the Premiere Pro 1.5 tutorials for Lynda.com, I was faced with a huge task. I am a technical guy without much artistic or storytelling talent. So in order to come up with a story quickly, I just "borrowed" the footage from the FCP tutorials that had already been produced. It all belonged to Lynda.com so I was in no danger of being accused of plagerism. Laziness, yes. Lack of talent, yes. Plagerism, no.

What this meant was that I needed to study the FCP tutorials and recreate the exact same output using the exact same assets. To the frame. Especially since I wanted to use the same music which had been cut to the exact frame.

It quickly became apparent that the differences between FCP and Premiere Pro were not as great as I expected. There were a few nifty things in FCP that I wish were in Premiere Pro, but there were some things in Premiere Pro that meant I did not have to explain the FCP workarounds to get to the same point.

The ability to edit audio to the frame level in PPro is nice. The ability to drop things in particular places rather than use a modifier key in FCP is also nice.

I would say that it does not matter which you use. Any of the FCP advantages are balanced by the Adobe Dynamic Link between PPro and After Effects as well as the sample level audio.

So, I believe that PC users should use Premiere Pro and Mac users should use FCP. There is not enough of a difference to warrant changing your entire operating system and buying new software to warrant the change. Not anymore there isn't.

One last thing. If you are editing with the stated purpose of getting a job as a professional editor, there could still be some advantage to learning FCP. Or AVID for that matter. If you are editing for yourself, then pick one and learn it well. For people with talent, the NLE should stay out of your way, not limit your creativity. You should know it so well that it is nothing more complicated than knowing which end of the paintbrush to hold.
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
So, I believe that PC users should use Premiere Pro and Mac users should use FCP. There is not enough of a difference to warrant changing your entire operating system and buying new software to warrant the change. Not anymore there isn't.
I agree with most of what you said except the quoted paragraph. I see plenty of reasons to spend the extra cash and do a full blown switch. In my opinion it depends more on the individuals needs than anything else.

FCP is supported by the industry a lot more than Premiere... which means all the newest hardware/software are almost always made for FCP then if you're lucky Premiere. Working in a professional environment and needing to hand off a FCP project to someone else. But more on track of this topic... I've had soooo many problems with PP2 I never want to look at it again. It's literally killing my current project because I either can't export files of decent quality (if at all) or I don't have a good pipeline between the apps I need to use. Adobe doesn't provide an intermediate codec of any kind so it's just one more hurdle to overcome.

...I can go on and on.
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Inner Circle

For me, its OS and Familiarity.

From my standpoint, the answer is Operating System. I'm on PCs because that is what I've always used. I build systems myself, can trouble shoot them, and I love the availability of virtually any application at reasonable prices.

My first experience with Premiere was with 6.5 when I got it with an editing board, the Pinnacle Pro One. I have become accustomed to its interface, and even though I also have Vegas 7 on board my system too, I keep going back to Premiere.

I don't have the crash issues some speak of, but my experience is that that those experiencing them are usually running into some kind of hardware flaw, usually memory or harddrive set ups that they just don't want to address, and want to blame on Premiere.
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Trustee

No offense meant, but the key is to master your NLE. If Premiere Pro causes you problems, it is a shame, and a good reason for you to switch. It does not cause me the same problems, nor many of the people I communicate with regularly.

That said, I agree that when you are working in a group, you should use what the group agrees on. FCP has almost always had that honor. But times are changing and Premiere Pro has caught up.

If you were working with HDV, my guess is that you would be happier with Premiere Pro due to the Cineform Aspect HD or even Prospect HD product. Yes, it is an extra charge, but worth it.

If there is any assistance I can provide you with your export problems, please let me know.
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
If you were working with HDV, my guess is that you would be happier with Premiere Pro due to the Cineform Aspect HD or even Prospect HD product. Yes, it is an extra charge, but worth it.
I disagree but admit that my problems might not affect everyone. I actually got a refund because the problems (for me personally) were a deal breaker.

Quote:
If there is any assistance I can provide you with your export problems, please let me know.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80029
Anyway to get an ULTRA high quality version out of PP2 and into FCP would be awesome.
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Crucean
I disagree but admit that my problems might not affect everyone. I actually got a refund because the problems (for me personally) were a deal breaker.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80029
Anyway to get an ULTRA high quality version out of PP2 and into FCP would be awesome.
Why would you want to get a high quality version out of PP2 and into FCP?!?!
Just use PPro. Put your HDV footage into a HD SDI project, do you color corrections etc. and export from there...... Great footage!

Why is it that we have to get into arguments over computers, and that is what this is! FCP does not run natively on PC's and PPro does not run on MAC's. How about we get back to specific issues and helping each other.

Mike
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #13
Trustee

I grew accustomed to her face

Like Nathalie Wood, I grew accustomed to her face....

If you start with a PC then you have the option of going with Edius, Premiere or Vegas. If you start with a MAC you can go Avid or FCP.

If you already have a PC, and tried, like I have, Edius, Ulead MSP, Vegas and Premiere Pro (never tried Liquid) and one of them suits your workflow and the editing style suits you, and it is complemented with applications like Audition, Encore, Illustrator, Photoshop and most importantly After Effects, Dynamic Link and Bridge, there is not much to choose from, is there?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Why would you want to get a high quality version out of PP2 and into FCP?!?!
Just use PPro. Put your HDV footage into a HD SDI project, do you color corrections etc. and export from there...... Great footage!

Why is it that we have to get into arguments over computers, and that is what this is! FCP does not run natively on PC's and PPro does not run on MAC's. How about we get back to specific issues and helping each other.

Mike
Haha, way to start the "lets all just help each other" revolution.
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:14 AM   #15
Trustee

HDV from PC to Mac

It just occured to me that the simple way to get the highest quality image from one platform to the other is as a numbered series of stills. Huge storage issues, but that is probably the simplest and more quality conscious way.

What do people think about that option?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite