Shortcut to switch windows within Premiere?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 7th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shortcut to switch windows within Premiere??

Is there a way to map a key to switch windows in Premiere? I want to be able to hit a key to switch from having my source window as the active window to my timeline. This would really be helpful for extracting clips to the timeline, switch to timeline, JKL there, switch back to source window, JKL, mark in & outs, overlay to timeline, switch to timeline, END/Page Down to move to last clip, switch back...

instead... I have to take my hand off the keyboard, use the mouse to click over to the source window and then manually back to the timeline. Someone please tell me there is a way around this or a keyboard shortcut to switch windows??
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Control - Tab will bounce you around the various windows within an app. Alt - Tab will let you switch apps within windows.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Ehrichs
Control - Tab will bounce you around the various windows within an app. Alt - Tab will let you switch apps within windows.
for sure - I've tried control tab but all that seems to do is deselect my current window, and not switch to another one. Am I missing something? Anyone succesfuly done this in Premiere Pro?
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Can't say I've tried it in Pro. It works in 6.0.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Daniel, you are using PPro 2.0 right?

You can not shift focus form any panel to any panel with any keyboard shortcut in PPro 2.0, sad but true. I really hope Adobe will bring back the ability to shift focus between panels in the next version of PPro or in a patch. I dont know why they took the Ctrl+TAB/Shift+TAB away in all new applications with the new GUI, AE/Encore/Audition.

/Roger
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Would be great with Shuttlepro

Hi
I'm using a ShuttlePro2 a lot in PremPro 2 (and it works great), but the one thing I hate is that I have to use the mouse to shift from panel to panel. If there were a keystroke ...

I can only second those in the thread who long for an easier way to do this.

Carl
Carl Mischke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Maybe you could create 4 different workspaces with each one having a different window selected and see if that works. Then assign the workspaces to a key. I wonder if there is a toggle key to run through the different workspaces? A ridiculous workaround I know, but it may work. Would try it myself, but currently re-imaging.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch
Maybe you could create 4 different workspaces with each one having a different window selected and see if that works. Then assign the workspaces to a key. I wonder if there is a toggle key to run through the different workspaces? A ridiculous workaround I know, but it may work. Would try it myself, but currently re-imaging.
That worked like a charm on PPro 1.x and i used that workaround all the time but it does seem to work randomly in PPro 2.0. I.e, if i save a workspace with my Timeline selected most of the times when i select that Workspace another panel gets the focus.

Please report back if it works for you when you have PPro 2.0 up and running again. I am trying to see if this is a bug in PPro 2.0 or if it is due to the fact that i am using a Swedish version of Win XP. I think it is a bug in PPro 2.0 though, the new UI is after all a 1.0 release.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Major Player

No Dice, it defaults to the timeline on each workspace.
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
No Dice, it defaults to the timeline on each workspace.
O.k, but what happens if you create one Workspace (WS) with the Project Panel in focus when you save it, and one WS with the Program Panel in focus when you save it, and one WS with the Source Panel in focus when you save it?

Load each WS and see if the panels that had focus when you saved the WS really has focus when you load them again. I.e, do all WS's load with the same panel in focus that had focus when you saved them? Here is where the randomness comes into the picture.

I can for example save a WS with the Timeline in focus and when i load it the Project Panel is in focus. And if modify it and save it with another panel in focus it may load with another panel in focus than the one that were in focus when i saved the WS.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Roger,

That was my original suggestion and upon testing, they all default back to the timeline. Also, PrPro 1.0 and 1.5 allowed the focus to be switched with ctrl-tab so not sure why you had to use a work around for this functionality.

Kevin
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Also, PrPro 1.0 and 1.5 allowed the focus to be switched with ctrl-tab so not sure why you had to use a work around for this functionality.
The reson for me to work around it is because my arm hurts after using the mouse for years, thats why keyboard shortcuts and proper functionality of the UI is important to me. And since Ctrl+TAB is gone i PPro 2.0, that forces me to use the mouse. I have been in contact with Adobe and they agree with me and are working on it. :)

In PPro 1.x, instead of pressing Ctrl+TAB or Ctrl+Shift+TAB mulitple times to cycle between different windows (sometimes one has to press Ctrl+TAB/Ctrl+Shift+TAB multiple times, not always) to get from the Timeline to the Project Window i used custom Workspaces so i just hit F1 on my keyboard. I used F1-F4 for custom Workspaces to get me to the correct window with just one key.

To clarify, if you save a WS in PPro 1.x with the Project Window in focus the Project Window gets the focus everytime when you load that WS. The same goes for all windows in PPro 1.x, the window that have focus when you save the WS is the same window that get focus when you load that WS. Thats one of the powerful features with WS's in PPro 1.x. That changed with the release of the new UI in PPro 2.0. I hope Adobe will correct this in PPro 2.5. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite