P Pro and dual or single core - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 21st, 2006, 04:01 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Bryant
Well unless you are going to be running a 64 bit OS, you will only utilize about 3 gigs of that RAM .. 32 bit OSes such as Windows XP (the 32 bit version) & Vista will only see approx 3 gigs of RAM.
Not quite correct. WinXP Pro will see and utilize 4 GB of RAM, but the applications are limited to 3 GB. The rest is overhead for the OS.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard
Not quite correct. WinXP Pro will see and utilize 4 GB of RAM, but the applications are limited to 3 GB. The rest is overhead for the OS.
Well I don't intend on getting into a p*ssing match with you however I know from firsthand experience that you can have a booger of a time getting XP (Pro, Home,etc) to SEE 4GB of physical memory. Here's one link where someone was having the issue as well as some good information confirming what you have said:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar...14/699521.aspx
Denny Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM   #18
Tourist

Athlon X2 issues

I was wondering whether or not anyone else is getting errors running on an X2 processor? The specific problems I'm experiencing are:

a) "Unspecified Recorder Error" during capture from DV tape. This error would occur intermittently while capturing footage, but the longest stretch without an error seems to be about 1 minute.

b) When editing anything, the viewer window would apparently randomly become very jittery, playing back improperly. It just stays that way.

I've managed to FIX these issues temporarily by simply turning off the 2nd core for PremierePro.exe in the task manager, and running it on just 1 core allows me to capture and edit normally. Of course, I'm theoretically losing half my processing power here, and I'd rather just have it run properly.

The problem happens both on an X2 3800+ and the 4600+, and I'm running it on an ASUS A8N-E.

I can post more specs, but I was hoping someone might just know the answer.
Chris Kroitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cegla
I had a timeline that I used as a benchmark for render time before I switch my processor from a single to dual core (no other components changed, I just swapped an Athlon 3700+ for an Athlon X2 4800+ dual core).

The render time was cut in half.
I have upgraded from a single core 3800 to a 4200 X2 and have noticed no difference, however I think this is because my motherboard is awful. The processor is detected and works ok so it must be compatible but I am awaiting delivery of a new decent mobo with which I hope i'll notice a significant improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kroitor
I was wondering whether or not anyone else is getting errors running on an X2 processor? The specific problems I'm experiencing are:

a) "Unspecified Recorder Error" during capture from DV tape. This error would occur intermittently while capturing footage, but the longest stretch without an error seems to be about 1 minute.

b) When editing anything, the viewer window would apparently randomly become very jittery, playing back improperly. It just stays that way.
Now you mention it since upgrading I have once noticed jittery playback once I have imported a clip onto the timeline. Sound plays back normal time but it seems like video jitters so only 50% of frames are displayed. I also ALWAYS have the problem of the preview and output windows just showing random colours. Normally red or green the colour totally fills the square window and you cannot even see outlines of the video that is meant to be playing. This usually happens after I minimise or alt tab premiere and go back to it.

edit. i have also noticed I cant quote twice in one post.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #20
Wrangler

Until recently, I used an Athlon X2 4800+ on an ASUS board with an eVGA 7800GTX video card and did not notice any of the problems from the last couple of posts. The whole Adobe Production Studio worked nicely, so I don't think it is specific to the hardware.

Video drivers up to date? Do you have other software, especially anti-virus and CD/DVD drivers, have you disabled any unneeded hardware and Windows services, including power management and screensavers?

David, I fixed your second quotation; the "close quotation" was just missing the bracket and slash characters: "[/..."
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #21
Trustee

PPro worked entirely smoothly for me with a X2 4200+ on an A8N5X, and both cores were definitely being utilized.

However I recently swopped to a somewhat overclocked 6300 Core2 on a P5B and that system has been a little cooler and noticeably faster rendering.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite