Will Premiere run on Windows Vista? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Will Premiere run on Windows Vista?

Will any thing run on windows Vista? If I need to get a new OS for a video editing computer, Do I still have to buy an old copy of XP?
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure if you have to, but I would sure recommend it! Windows Vista is what happens when the most over rated software company in the world continues on their ridiculous ego trip, and attempts to screw over every PC owner on the market!

But you don't have to take my word for it!

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7675
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...hreadID=201963
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...ta_5308_05.asp (this one is long, but it's good!)

I've read a tone more, and some even stating specifically that if you are are doing multimedia, Vista will not cut it. Largely do to how it handles drivers and the like. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about Vista, nor am I even going to pretend I like Microsoft in the least, but from everything I've read it would appear that Vista is not a viable solution to guys like us. I've even heard statements such that pressure on Adobe, AutoDesk, and the like are going to to be so severe to port software for Linux, that we might see that happen within the next couple of years!

Boy, that'd be nice!
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Allen
I've read a tone more, and some even stating specifically that if you are are doing multimedia, Vista will not cut it. Largely do to how it handles drivers and the like. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about Vista
Evidently.

I *do* know a lot about Vista - using it right now in fact. I have been extensively testing one of our multimedia apps on it and, for the video side of things, Vista is more capable on the same hardware platform than XP (the improvement is similar to what I have observed running our 32-bit app on XP Pro x64).

BUT - where Vista will create a lot of headaches for people is audio. Vista has a new audio layer and does away with DirectSound (it emulates it instead). For ASIO and other professional audio layers, there's no change.

Regarding Premiere and Vista, I don't know. I have Premiere Pro 1.5 but not installed on Vista - it's still on the XP Pro partition. I can't install it on Vista without uninstalling it from XP first.

Frankly, don't listen to anyone who hasn't had first-hand and extensive experience with the final (non-beta) version of Vista. The review mentioned in the previously reply as "this one is long, but it's good" is WAY, WAY, WAY out of date (April 2006). And its author is notoriously anti-Vista. At least take the time to look at his more recent reviews on the same site.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Allen
I've even heard statements such that pressure on Adobe, AutoDesk, and the like are going to to be so severe to port software for Linux, that we might see that happen within the next couple of years!

Boy, that'd be nice!
I doubt it. Most Linux fans don't like spending money....
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro 2.0 wouldn't install on the latest Vista beta version. I imagine that Adobe will release an update or patch to remedy this. Maybe someone else has had better luck.
Kevin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dorsey
Premiere Pro 2.0 wouldn't install on the latest Vista beta version. I imagine that Adobe will release an update or patch to remedy this. Maybe someone else has had better luck.
Please tell me you're kidding. Adobe release a patch for Premiere. Let me get in line for my sno-cone now cause that's what they'll be handing out if and whenever you ever see a patch/update for Premiere.

But wait, there's more... I'm sure Adobe would be more than happy to add that issue into their next version upgrade and, of course, you'll pay for it. I don't know who I'm beginning to dislike more, Microsoft or Adobe. Seems the bigger they get and the more money they make, the more they dump on their user base. It's no longer about helping the user, it's about buyouts, mergers, and how fat the board of directors pockets can get.
Joe Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Trustee

It runs.... Vista robs your system of the ram that PPro could be using... XP is the preferred choice to this final code Vista Ultimate tester. PPro is not 64bit either, so what's the point?
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #8
Major Player

no probs using PP on Vista

I have actually finished a project in Premiere Pro 2.0 in Vista yesterday. Other than slightly larger RAM usage, I didn't run into any problems with PP and/or plugins.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala
I have actually finished a project in Premiere Pro 2.0 in Vista yesterday. Other than slightly larger RAM usage, I didn't run into any problems with PP and/or plugins.

One of the lucky ones...
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala
PPRO 2.0 runs in Ultimate. The only problems were Boris CC and MB Editors wouldn't run inside Premiere. I didn't really notice any difference between XP and Vista as in terms of editing. PPRO wouldn't install if UAC was disabled by the way..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Adobe Production Studio with Vista Ultimate

PPro 2.0 works just fine on my Vista Ultimate workstation. I use several Adobe Production Studio applications, and I haven't noticed any difference in project rendering times compared to XP. I really enjoy the new 3D Aero navigation, my machine hasn't locked-up, and it actually shuts down fast and clean now, unlike XP...
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I'll never go back to a Pc. I am a Mac guy all the way now, but I have a close friend who is a IT director at a large Broadcast company, so take this with those two things in mind.

Why would you want to switch to Vista when it takes uses soooo much of your computer resoures to run all of its "fancy new gizmos?" To me, thats robbing your editing software of power.

Bryon <><
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Akerman
Why would you want to switch to Vista when it takes uses soooo much of your computer resoures to run all of its "fancy new gizmos?"
Bryon <><
Using Vista for the past 3 weeks or so, I don't think it takes up much of my computer resources, as in most cases applications start faster and run smoother. The only resource I can think of that vista will utilize more of is ram. If you editing video and graphics, I would just recommend having 3gigs of ram; 1 for vista and 2 for apps. As on my system, vista only takes up about 500mb of ram.

This is just my personal user experience using adobe production studio.

PS. I think people are giving vista too much crap before they give it a chance. The only crap I'll give vista is that it should of been better then OS X, not par. Microsoft had 5 years of development, and no new ideas.
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #14
Major Player

I think the real question is "Will Windows Vista Run?"
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Coughlin
PS. I think people are giving vista too much crap before they give it a chance.

I've given it plenty of time through all the betas and final code = still crap. Pretty and shiny is not equal to better. For average joe who don't know, XP and Vista are just something than run your computer. To us IT people, it is not necessary and avoided at all costs currently. We oversee 5000+ users and have only just started testing a couple machines with Vista, bleh!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite