Connections using DV Rack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Connections using DV Rack

With Firewire ports being somewhat fragile how limited is the DV Rack for moving camera shots, it would seem the ports would receive pressure from movement, firewire ports don't seem to "lock in" like an XLR of even composite. Also, isn't the length of the cable an issue? Is the rack more
for stagnant shots?
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

True, 4-pin firewire is kinda' lightweight. 6-pin is quite a bit more robust. To DVRack, they're both firewire. My cam has 4-pin, so does my laptop, but, I also have a PC-card firewire with 6-pin. Little velcro cable wraps will help by tying the cable to a handy table leg, camera handle, tripod, etc. so that cable strain is not felt at the connector.

All in all, a laptop is not an easy thing to deal with for run and gun or hand-held. I've a gadget (described in this forum) that mounts my laptop to my tripod, but even that is best for set shots. I don't imagine dealing with tethering to a laptop for hand-held shots.

However, there's more to DVRack than the DVR. Having the reference monitor, and the waveform can be great just for lighting checks, then untether to shoot.

But if you need a run-and-gun solution for DVR it had better be over your shoulder, on your belt, or camera-mounted, like firestore, the new sony dvr, etc.

People are using (premium) 50 and 75 foot firewire cables without repeaters. With repeaters, you can go hundreds of feet if you wish.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Much thanks Seth, I would also think that a computer making any sound would be an issue on set as well. I was hoping critical focus could be better achieved with this but it doesn't appear so. Where might one find one of those long firewire cables?
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Maybe some other posters have good sources.

I see that forum sponsor B&H has this kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation which has 2 66' cables and a repeater. You'd need to add 6 to 4 pin adaptors, though, which make the connector strain worse.

I don't know anything about this cable from B&H, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation, but it is 4-4 pin.

My experience has been with cables from markertek.com, who sell TecNec and datavideo in some handy lengths http://www.markertek.com/ProdList.as...&search=0&off=.

Markertek is not a forum sponsor, but they got the stuff in this case.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #5
Trustee

Seth,
Are you sure you can run 50 - 70 Firewire cables with an HVX?
Is that while recording DVCPro100?
I thought you were limited to about 20' without repeaters.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry, no direct experience with the HVX or DVCPRO-100. Sony & JVC DV/HDV here...

I guess you'd have to try it.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite