AE Light Rays effect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 13th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AE Light Rays effect?

Sorry this isn't about Premier but this seemed like the best forum to ask in. I'm trying to use the "CC light rays" effect in After Effects. I love the effect (for a few shots) but I can't get the guides/positioner grid to disappear. When I click on the "about" link in the project window it says it is a demo. I bought the full Creative Studio so I don't know why it is a demo. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas? Is there a way to hide the "X" in the screen that is used to position the source of light? Do I need a plug in or something?

-Don
Don Bazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the same problem with that, I spent many hours banging my head on the keyboard and would also love to hear if anyone has any idea what's going on.
Just to compare notes on setup I have:

WinXP Pro SP2 etc..
AMD64 3000+
Generic 2Gb DDR400 RAM
GeForce 6600GT (Forceware 91.47)

A stab in the dark it might be a graphics card or driver bug, I'll update the drivers and get back to you

Edit: Actually I've just checked back on AE and it has stopped doing it, sods law... so I've no idea at all sorry :(

Last edited by Damian Clarke; February 13th, 2007 at 06:47 AM.
Damian Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, it looks like I need to get a plug-in to get this effect to work. Any suggestions on what plug-in to get (Cycore, Boris)?
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Instead of the CC Light Rays effect, check out Trapcode's Shine. It does amazing things... and be the best $99 you've EVER spent on a plug-in. You can see it all of the time now in commercials and TV shows.

IMHO, all of the Trapcode plug-ins are awesome. You can "try 'em before you buy 'em" ,too. I bought it with the Starglow effect and saved a few buck$.

http://www.trapcode.com/products_shine.html

Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Cool! Thanks Brian. I checked out the site and their stuff does look good. I guess I was thinking the Light Rays effect in After Effects would work without buying a plug-in. I guess I was wrong there (?).

These Shine and Stargolw effects look great. I can see using the Starglow very subtley in my wedding videos. I'm looking for something just like that. I'm going to download the demos asap. Did you contact them to get a deal on buying the 2 plugins?

-Don
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Don, since Red Giant and Trapcode partnered up, the purchasing of plug-ins is different than when I bought them... but here's the link to buy both Shine and Starglow: http://redgiantsoftware.com/trapcodelightpack.html

Looks like you save about $50 if you buy 'em both. And you should, if you can swing it, because these are truly great plug-ins. Starglow looks great dialed into text and lower thirds. It also works on footage, of course, and both Starglow and Shine are very tweakable... allow masks, transfer modes, etc.

Plan your render times accordingly. They're not "render pigs" compared to some effects and 3D work, but you'll sure notice when they're frames are being rendered.

As far as the Cycore effect, you should have them on your AE install disks IF you have AE Pro. If you have the Standard version, you might have to buy them... not sure, I've never used Light Rays. Once you use Shine, you'll never use it, though!

HTH,
Brian
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite