What's cooking for PPro 3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Major Player

What's cooking for PPro 3?

Does anyone have any idea what's in store for next version of Premiere? I know that PP 2 is just a year old, but they develop something new full steam for sure.

I would certainly like to see some improvements in compositing (like blending modes) and interface (keyboard switching between panes).
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Those who know don't tell, those who tell don't know.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Words of wisdom Harm.

As far as I'm concerned, if they could just fix the bugs in PPro2, that'd already give a new version worth buying.

This is just wishful thinking but to me, PPro is now at a point where it has enough features to compete with Avid and FCP. But they are not solid enough to do so yet. Working on solidifying those already implemented features (color correction and media management are two things I can think of) and smoothing the rough edges (24p problems) would go a long way in making it a favorable app (in the pro world anyways).

Dynamic link was the first step towards pro grade workflow. Now fix those bugs, improve the image processing quality (up/down conversion mainly) and media management and we're talking.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yup Dynamic Link is their ticket, why else would they relsease a Mac version of Production Studio. Dynamic link is awesome. But their not quite in a position to over run FCP. They still have a ways to go. Both are great apps though.
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have to disagree. I think Premiere blows FCP out of the water. I use both of them and there is no comparison to me.

As far as new features: there are two things that i noticed in the Mac Screen Shots and they are Time Remapping (A long awaited feature) and in the project pane there is a new search feature.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Todd, why exactly do you prefer Premiere over FCP so much? (I own Premiere but I envy FCP users better compositing and media management)
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Major Player

I prefer it because I have the full production suite and the intergration betweent the apps is great like from After Effects to PP2 and Photoshop etc...
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I think premiere has a more productive work flow. It is a lot more user friendly in my experience. Just having the "contains" fields to search on is huge. Also FCP has to much rendering before you can do anything. When it comes to media management I can not comment to much on that because I do not have thousands of clips like others. I do know that the new version will have improvements in media management. Compositing is huge for me only because I do have the production studio which I use After Effects for. I know that is not premiere but I thought I would add that anyway.

All in all I find premiere to be way more productive. The way the interface works and the way it interacts with the rest of the studio is awsome. Don't get me wrong it does have bugs just like every other software package. But I have always found a way to do anything that I have ever needed to do.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Major Player

One thing that I really wish it had was the ability to take a HDV 16X9 edit and simply print to tape SD letterboxed. I switched from the Sony Z1U that would do it from it's outputs to the JVC HD110 and really miss that feature because most of my work goes to braodcast and what I have come up with as a workaround is pretty cumbersome. (to say the least)
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Not disagreeing with anything said here, I love Premiere and use it on a regular basis, but to me it still lacks a few things compared to the Avid Xpress family to be able to compete on the pro level, and those things are not necessarily features.

Media management is directly linked to reliability and responsiveness on long term projects. Premiere is not reliable when you throw hours of footage and hundreds of clips at it over a long period of time. Avid will load as fast and respond as well no matter the number of clips/sequence time, even after months of the original project creation. To work in a pro environment, you can't afford to start fighting the app as your project grows, this would be counter-productive. You need reliability and PPro doesn't provide that yet.

In depth color correction has just started to be implemented by Adobe with version 2.0, but it is nowhere near Avid and even FCP yet. It needs to be improved in order to be good enough for online editing and final color corrections that are broadcast accurate.

One feature this is still missing from PPro (though I think there's a plugin for it, but still) is OMF export. If Adobe is ever to play with the big boys of this industry, they have to implement this feature. It allows for multiple department collaboration on a project without having to render every time. You can't really make it work efficiently without this.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #11
Trustee

David, I do agree with you on that first point. PPro is not the best at long form projects, or heavy fx projects involving hundreds of clips, edits and effects.
Whatever the reason, it needs better memory management.

PPro also needs to improve on SD down converting with decent descaling, rather than having to rely on frameserving to third party freeware to do the job. (I noted this on Adobe's PPro wishlist).

Frankly these are more like patches and fixes rather than new features, and I'd be hard pressed to upgrade unless there are features that would help me earn a paycheck.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #12
Major Player

Amazon has some new info on features of CS3 product including After Effects and Premiere, including long awaited variable speed control!

New Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Adobe OnLocation CS3* (Windows version)

Make every phase of video production more efficient with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 as well as Adobe OnLocation CS3* (formerly the award-winning DV Rack HD, now included in the Production Premium box), a powerful set of direct-to-disc recording and on-set monitoring tools to help produce high-quality video footage while shooting with an SD or HD camera. Achieve dramatic effects using improved slow motion with variable speed control in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3.

New Adobe After Effects CS3 Professional

Take advantage of innovative new features in Adobe After Effects CS3 Professional such as Shape Layers for flexible drawing and animation of vector shapes; the Puppet tool, an intuitive new approach to shape animation; and Brainstorm to quickly experiment and refine designs using parameters you define.

New Adobe Encore CS3

Author once, and then output to multiple media types. Use a familiar Adobe interface to author a single Encore CS3 project and then export to standard-definition DVDs, high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and interactive DVD-style SWF-based experiences for immediate use on the web.
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #13
Major Player

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/upgrade/

Major disappointment for me. Mostly cosmetic changes. I was looking towards XDCAM HD support at the least. It makes me consider Edius even more, even though I've been a long fan of PPro. I wonder if render engine is more efficient.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #14
Major Player

Agreed, I was hoping for some compositing options. I hope they at least improved keyboard use, Premiere means too much mousing around.
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #15
Trustee

They need to fix the cake (core issues) before dumping on more frosting (bells and whistles). 90% of my profits/efforts only come from using only 10% of those features anyhow. Capture, cut, title, CC, and export. Everything else is either wasted or done better in AE.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite