Converting HD to SD using camera on import, editing, saving, reimport HDVfinal output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting HD to SD using camera on import, editing, saving, reimport HDVfinal output

Ok,

Here is what I was thinking when I first put together my new system.

Shoot in HDV. Import in SD using the down convert on camera. Edit in SD so that computer has far less requirements as it's doing it's think in the timeline and then saving end project as power point project file.

Then re-importing footage from HDV tape without downconverting to SD, keep it HDV.

That way you do all the work in lower intensity environment SD environment and make it less time consuming to wait for effects etc to preview while editing. Then reimport the video in HDV and have the whole thing completed so all you have to do at that point is export.

Not sure how this will affect colour correction and video effects etc... good question.

Anyone use this method? Pros, cons? Possible, not possible? Good idea, bad idea?

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ok, just to show I'm not too lazy, I came across a thread that linked to these three related threads:

See here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80103

Here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83658

And Here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=76754

I am suprised more people don't try this method out, capture in sd, edit, then reimport HD. It requires one extra step for reimporting and a couple of minutes fiddling after that, but I am guessing saves quite a bit of time on handling the footage when editing. That being said, I have yet to start my first HDV project and additionally, none of the post above are conclusive about this method working well... But if the computer's a bit slow, I guess I'll try the steps from post above.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Trustee

Since I use Cineform Aspect HD which allows slower PCs to edit HDV as well as they edit DV, I see no point. When I upgraded the PC from my 3GHz P4 to a Dual Core my system really flies.

Trying to replace the footage is not as simple as you might think.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Major Player

While doing an "offline" has its merits, I think Steven brings up a good point... there's just one more thing to go wrong with the double ingest. And, speaking of double ingest, you'll use double the hard disk space between the DV and HDV footage, have double the wear on camera/ deck heads, double the time spent capturing... and so on.

In a pro situation where one outfit does the offline and another the online from an EDL, this makes sense. On one's own personal PC? I'm not so sure.

I'm presently using PPro to edit about 8 hours of basketball videos into a highlight reel. Even with my last generation PC (Athlon XP 3800+ dual core), it doesn't hiccup too bad. If it takes awhile to render... I can always sleep or do something else.

And what's the "power point project file" ??? Did you mean "Premiere Pro project file"?

Just my thoughts,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

oopsey, yes of course, premiere project file...

I still haven't given the HDV a try yet in premiere, finishing up some SD stuff that's been sitting on the shelf for a while as I have just got my editing system... hopefully it will all be quick and smooth.. I may consider this $500 aspect software... another expense in the long line of expenses to get in the movie business!
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite