Premiere Pro CS3 Beta Download - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 19th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #16
Major Player

When I saw the "great update" of Premiere CS3, and then I saw what Apple did with FCP Studio 2, I thought: how come Apple can do it, and Adobe can't?

I have been a great fan of Premiere for some time, but after these cosmetic changes supposedly warranting a release of a new edition, I think I'm going to switch to Mac.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #17
Trustee

Bart, there's more to it than cometic. The inclusion of otherwise expensive options (actually more expensive if purchased seperately), such as OnLocation (aka serious magic's DV Rack HD -$500) and time remapping. Both easily worth the upgrade alone. Cosmetically, you would want the application to remain the same. It keeps the learning curve down, and allows you to focus on the new tools.

I'm not sure if the main objective of the premiere team is for a bug hunt, but more for getting tighter intergration with AE, Encore, and photoshop, (including Soundbooth). I would think that they have their hands full squashing bugs to meet that challenge. In any case it's still a step forwards.
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #18
Major Player

I think the integration between PPro CS3 and Soundbooth is going to be key. Just as SONY's Vegas 7 and Cinescore work hand in hand, this Adobe 1-2 punch is going to make my work more enjoyable. Let's hope they integrate XDCAM support with SONY's announcement of the XDCAM EX series.
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling View Post
Bart, there's more to it than cometic. The inclusion of otherwise expensive options (actually more expensive if purchased seperately), such as OnLocation (aka serious magic's DV Rack HD -$500) and time remapping. Both easily worth the upgrade alone. Cosmetically, you would want the application to remain the same. It keeps the learning curve down, and allows you to focus on the new tools.

I'm not sure if the main objective of the premiere team is for a bug hunt, but more for getting tighter intergration with AE, Encore, and photoshop, (including Soundbooth). I would think that they have their hands full squashing bugs to meet that challenge. In any case it's still a step forwards.
I can certainly see why you feel that the upgrade is worth getting.

However for me:
1. Premiere is the only professional video editing program that does not support XDCAM HD. The plug-in that supposedly adds that support is $500 and it does not work (tested).
2. OnLocation will be next to completely useless.
3. Discontinuation of multitrack Audition and instead giving out a cheaper Soundbooth is a major disappointment for people who work with audio.
4. There is no mention of better integration with AE, and frankly, unless they can make Dynamic Link more "dynamic", it's more of a hindrance than of help:
4a. When I update only one of the compositions in AE, I want Premiere to retain the rendered files of all the ones that are updated. So far - no luck. Every single switch to After Effects (even without any changes!) forces me to rerender stuff.
4b. I miss "send to AE" option after selecting a clip or a series of clips. That said, I miss the possibility to send to audition the whole track as a separate project, or even to send 2 or 3 clips without actually rendering them. That's what I'd call dynamic.
5. Time warp has been already present in AE, and it has been present in every other professional editor except Premiere for some time.
6. I could use more "professional" color correction tools, like masks, vignettes, and above all - dynamic styles.

Don't get me wrong - I've been a fan of Premiere, and I used it extensively. It is one of the most flexible editing programs that I worked with. But I hoped for much more, than I'd be getting with Premiere CS3. And unfortunately Apple has delivered, what I've been expecting Adobe to do. So...
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #20
Wrangler

Deke, CS3 will allow you to open multiple instances of the project window, each of which you can display by list or thumbnail and do drag-n-drop rearrangement of the clips, as well as smart searches.

A couple other general comments:
- I haven't heard one way or the other specifically on XDCAM, but at NAB Adobe was stating CS3 as being "format agnostic." Unless someone has found a source document stating XDCAM won't be supported in the final version, it is an open question.
- FUD not fact: "OnLocation will be next to completely useless."
- Audition is NOT being discontinued; it will continue to be sold separately for those who are focused primarily on audio production. Soundbooth will contain a rich toolset for the videographer, including new music creation features. Many of the big tools carried over from Audition will also now be alot easier to use. Like Bart, I was initially concerned that Soundbooth might be "dumbed down." After seeing it at NAB, I'm more than satisfied with the feature set and excited to have some of the new features.
- For those things that we don't like, that don't work as well as we think they should, or for new feature requests, make sure to let Adobe about your good ideas:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/...?name=wishform
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:25 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
- FUD not fact: "OnLocation will be next to completely useless."
For me, as I use it only for post, not for shooting. Sorry for not being clear enough in my post. OnLocation may be the very reason some people will upgrade, but for others like me it is not.

Quote:
- Audition is NOT being discontinued; it will continue to be sold separately for those who are focused primarily on audio production. Soundbooth will contain a rich toolset for the videographer, including new music creation features. Many of the big tools carried over from Audition will also now be alot easier to use. Like Bart, I was initially concerned that Soundbooth might be "dumbed down." After seeing it at NAB, I'm more than satisfied with the feature set and excited to have some of the new features.
I'm certain it has a lot of new interesting features. However from what I've seen the things that were most pressing for me - dealing with workflow between Premiere and Audition - have not been solved.

Quote:
- For those things that we don't like, that don't work as well as we think they should, or for new feature requests, make sure to let Adobe about your good ideas:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/...?name=wishform
I've been doing it for quite some time, alas to little avail.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM   #22
Major Player

I really haven't worked with CS3 enough to discover all its features. However, I have a "borderline" machine and was apparently having memory handling problems with PP2 and couldn't easily use Cineform.

I downloaded and installed CS3, copied the Cineform folders, and no more memory crashes. I also copied the DebugMode file to Plug-Ins and am nicely frameserving CFHD in YUV to Tmpgenc Express for downsizing (Lancosz3) and compressing files for Encore. Very nice DVD's

I'll keep playing with CS3, but already it has solved a big problem for me. Maybe when it's actually released I'll be able to simplify my workflow. That'd be nice.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite