Capture freezes. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Capture freezes.

I just finished shooting an event yesterday on my VX2100 and am on quite a strict deadline. I'm trying to capture the footage with PP 2.0 through firewire, and after capturing for a few seconds, the video in the capture window freezes, the Capture Duration number display stops running and the sound is all that gets captured. This is very frustrating and is the first time it's happened to me. If I start capturing later in the tape, I don't seem to be getting the issue, however there's a lot of important coverage near the beginning. I only began the event about 30 seconds into the tape, after a pre-roll. Is this is an issue with the tape?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You did not say how much later in the tape that it starts to work, but it does sound like a tape issue. Try cleaning the heads real good and try capturing it again.

Mike
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Major Player

While I've had the camera for about a year, it only has about 10 hours worth of use under its belt (I know, I know.)

When it freezes in premiere, the video is still running on the camera's LCD. I did a clean-up of the media harddrive and that seemed to get it to work for the first 45 minutes, but I encountered the problem again. Stopped the capture, saved it, and started it again from the same shot for a new video file...It worked fine then.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Glad to hear you found a cure.

Best of luck---Mike
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, not really a cure...A video needs to be re-captured from the problem shot everytime there's a freeze, which makes batch capturing problematic and the whole capture process a nuisance in general.

I'm running every spyware, virus and disk cleaner I have.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

How much free space do you have on the capture drive and or system drive? You need to have about 20% of the drive open or the computer itself will have problems. They do not work well with the drives nearly full.

Mike
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Major Player

About 150gb free on a 160GB drive.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale View Post
About 150gb free on a 160GB drive.
That sound like your capture drive, what about the system drive? That is what the computer has to run on.

Mike
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Major Player

My OS drive has 32gb off 60gb.

Capture has 150GB

and a general media HD for games, music and movies has 112GB free. I tried capturing to that HD and got the same problem.

The problem is occuring as well on the second tape.

I know it's a long shot, but I haven't captured anything since I got new display card drivers. Could this be an issue?
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:10 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
My OS drive has 32gb off 60gb.

Capture has 150GB

and a general media HD for games, music and movies has 112GB free. I tried capturing to that HD and got the same problem.

The problem is occuring as well on the second tape.

I know it's a long shot, but I haven't captured anything since I got new display card drivers. Could this be an issue?
Well, now you have exceeded my knowledge base. :) Sounds like you have enough room for all to work correctly. Pretty sure it is a computer problem and not a camera problem though. You might want to change drivers and try again, but I don't know what else to tell you.

Just in case, you did try cleaning the camera didn't you?

Good luck---Mike
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Major Player

Nope, haven't tried cleaning it...Don't have any cleaning tools on hand. The tape runs fine through the LCD display, no pauses or skips, just during the capture. It's been kept in a very clean, cool environment when not in use as well, coupled with the very brief use it's gone through.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM   #12
Major Player

Reverted to older drivers and am now capturing the second tape without any problems, yet.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Nope, haven't tried cleaning it...Don't have any cleaning tools on hand. The tape runs fine through the LCD display, no pauses or skips, just during the capture. It's been kept in a very clean, cool environment when not in use as well, coupled with the very brief use it's gone through.
One other thing you might want to check is the firewire cable itself. Do have another to try it with?

Otherwise, it sounds all computer. You really should pick up a cleaning tape though.

Mike
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Reverted to older drivers and am now capturing the second tape without any problems, yet.
Great!

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite