rendering out to mpeg2 for DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

rendering out to mpeg2 for DVD

I am using a canon XL2, and adobe premiere pro... I export using the media encoder to Mpeg2 and then go to DVD... some of my XL2 stuff is mixed in with a small panasonic camera that I was using before... Why does my xl2 stuff look very pixelated on TV... I'm using a wide screen TV that stretches the image... could this be it??

How should I export my movies to achieve the highest quality possible when watching them on TV?

Could it be the DVD player itself?

thanks!
Matt
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Matthew, did you shoot with 2 different pixel aspect ratios? 4:3 16:9? im a little unsure but thats all i got :)
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You may find some useful info here.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=74685

You would not be the only person to have PP2 output issues.

Cheers,
Robert
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #4
Tourist

If were talking about standard definition output, when ever I use Premiere Pro 1.5 and export straight to DVD or mpeg2 the results are awful. I only export straight to DVD in Premiere Pro 1.5 when doing drafts. When I want decent results I export out to DV and use Encore to encode to mpeg2.

I suggest try using Premiere to export as DV and then use another program to encode to mpeg2 and see if the results are different.
Andrew Prosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks for the help guys...

The old footage has either been shot in standard def; 4:3 and stretched or standard def 16:9... All my XL2 stuff has been shot in SD 16:9...

Once it's uploaded on the computer... it still looks great... and better than my old stuff...

I'm editing in Premiere Pro 1.5 and then I export using the media encoder to an Mpeg2 file which goes to another folder... then I open Encore and import my mpeg as asset and away we go from there...

The stuff looks really good on the monitor there as well... it's just when it goes to the disc... so I guess I need to fiddle with my DVD creation settings??
right now everything's auto...

any thoughts?
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Tourist

From Premiere Pro 1.5 I do not encode it to mpeg2. I choose Export>Movie then I choose Microsoft DV AVI from the settings button. Then I use that DV AVI file
in Encore and create the mpeg2 DVD from that.

I have tried the same projects both ways. I would encode one in Premiere to mpeg2 and the same project from Premiere to DV AVI into Encore then encode it to mpeg2 there.

The premiere mpeg2 was always pixelated and looked awful compared to the Encore encoded.

If I encoded it in Premiere to mpeg2 then used encore to make a DVD out of it it it would still look pixelated.

I do not believe it is your DVD player I believe it has to do with the Premiere mpeg2 encoder
Andrew Prosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks for the help... I will definitely try that with a project that I've completed and check the difference... thanks!!
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite