Advantage of slow mo in After Effects VS Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Advantage of slow mo in After Effects VS Premiere?

I use a lot of slow motion in my work. On this website, I've noticed a lot of people talking about creating slow motion clips in After Effects.

What is the advantage of creating a slow motion clip in After Effects, as opposed to right clicking on the clip in Premiere (Pro 1.5) and changing the speed/duration to say 50% or 40%? That's what I've been doing, but if there's a better way I'd love to learn...

thanks!
Matt
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Premiere is notoriously bad with slomo's, whereas the time remapping in AE is far better. If you don't have AE, you could use Twixtor for slomo's as a plug-in for Premiere.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

no, I have AE 6.5, but I just never knew what the difference was between the two...

so it's really worth taking your clip into AE and then exporting back out? Is there anything more than just simply remapping or stretching the clip? And checking the frame blend box?
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Trustee

The frame blend box is checked by default. I would suggest to take a short clip and apply a slomo both in Premiere and in AE and see which looks better to you and then take into consideration the time spent to achieve the slomo. Then decide. From my experience (but I am also using Twixtor) the effort to use AE and the time remapping tool is worth the time and effort, but if you wait a little while CS3 will be out and the new time remapping feature in Premiere should now closely resemble the AE results you can currently achieve.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Premiere 6.5 actually does slow motions better than premiere pro 2. It uses the interlacing fully and premiere pro just blends everything.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #6
Trustee

Premiere Pro CS3 uses much of the After Effects slow motion engine. But it is still better to use Time Remapping in AE as far as I can tell so far.
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #7
Trustee

Not sure what time remapping does but if you take interlaced footage and spread it out to 200% duration AE will deinterlace and put the even/odd fields consecutively next to each other for 50% slow-mo. Premiere just blends, and it's ugly.
Old June 9th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks guys for the help! Yea, AE definitely makes a difference...

By the way... when using the Time Stretch and clicking the frame blending switch... be sure to click the main frame blending button above the click boxes to turn on frame blending... you have to do both.

thanks!!
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
Not sure what time remapping does but if you take interlaced footage and spread it out to 200% duration AE will deinterlace and put the even/odd fields consecutively next to each other for 50% slow-mo. Premiere just blends, and it's ugly.
So how do AE and PPro de-interlace 25p footage from the V1? I've never been able to figure this out but I know I'm not happy with PPro's idea of slow motion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite