Will Premiere on the Mac presuade anyone to switch Platforms/Software? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
I miss typed, I meant to ask why Adobe thinks they have a market in Mac users?
Gotcha, but again, they had a market in Mac before, what's to stop them from gaining some of it back? Some people don't like Avid or FCP AND don't like windows, so why not Adobe...
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM   #17
Tourist

i'm going MAC for premiere

i've been using premiere for windows for a while - i bought a macbook pro for DJing and use premiere in windows right now using boot camp. my windows side "over heats" everyonce and a while so I'm hoping to run a smoother crash free version in mac os once it's ready...we'll see????
Adam Greenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #18
Regular Crew

(CS3 + FCPS2) * Mac Pro = :D!
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Well now all Mac's are PC's running Mac OS. So why would anyone change? There is more software on the PC and set up correctly the PC is as stable as any Mac. Load garbage and the PC will fall apart. The Mac has the advantage of far less software available to screw it up!!!!!!!
Treat a PC like a Mac ( buy it and run the software that came with it or just reputable software) and it will run just fine.
I constructed the 4 PC's I have. One cheap for internet mail and surfing, the other 3 for editing. These editing PC's only have editing software on them and most of the Win XP services shut down. They are fast and lean machines. I like Windows because I can get into these services and shut them down if I know I don't need them. Frankly I don't like the MAC big brother approach of the designers know better. I appreciate the wonderful industrial design of the MAC's, but right now they are PC's with software being the difference, hence the competitive start with Safari being made available etc. Frankly Mozilla Web browser( Firefox) and mail( Thunderbird) are better than MAC or Windows!!!!!! They are free for the PC.
On the PC there is the advantage of being able to edit with Edius, Pinnacle, Premiere, Vegas etc etc. Make the choice of software not the hardware because right now the hardware is much the same.

Ron Evans
Hi Ron;
How do you know which services you can shut down in windows? Some are obvious, but most are so cryptically named its hard to know what they do. With 58 processes running in the background, I certainly have too many. I do have a logitech bluetooth keyboard-mouse that has some processes running, and ofcourse any anitvirus just adds tons of slow down stuff.
I would like to know how to determine what I do/don't need. Any chance of seeing a list of what you have/have not running. I assume you are using the Adobe suite, I have that plus Vegas 7, and cineform aspect. Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #20
Trustee

There are several articles out there that cover what services do what and what you can turn off.
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
There are several articles out there that cover what services do what and what you can turn off.
thanks - can you be more specific, like in DV Info, or where, any links? thanks - PK
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #22
Trustee

Sorry, here are some links

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

http://www.optimizingpc.com/optimize...sservices.html
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #23
Inner Circle

The info at http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html may be of some use to you. This is what I followed in principle to set up my system. For my editing PC has no Virus software , XP firewall is OFF, CD/DVD seek is OFF, all auto updates are OFF, swap file is fixed size etc. Separate drives for each camera captured, separate drive for temp files. I have boot drive, temp drive and three capture/video drives and two external drives for backups and to swap out files to leave space on main drives for editing.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I recently made the jump to a quad core G5 running FCP 5.1 to support HD. Otherwise, I was using Premiere Pro 1.5 on my PC (XP Pro) to edit SD. Both are fine applications. My PC is also running Cubase SX3, Reason, and host of other music, midi & creative applications, but I will transition these to my Mac because of its reliability. Of course, I could beef up my PC to the same specs as my Mac, but I am convinced that Windows (no matter how good) was never intended on supporting these types of applications to begin with. Less taxing applications like Photoshop rarely have any problems on Windows - it's the more demanding applications where it runs into trouble. Another factor in Windows are the constant virus protection processes which eat system resources, and is notorious for hanging applications (at least my experience anyway).

Call me crazy, but I fully intend on having both Adobe Production Premium CS3 & Final Cut Studio 2 running on my Mac. There is major bias toward FCP for good reason, but the playing field has now been leveled and both bring their advantages. Long time FCP users - you owe it to yourself to take a test drive on Premiere - it's intuitive, efficient, and works like how an editor thinks. It has come a long way. I personally like the Flash & AE integration, and will use Premiere along side FCP to compliment my work, and to expand my knowledge so I can work in this field full time. I am beginning to get acquainted with FCP and will continue using it as my main editor, but both are amazing - take your pick.
Jeremy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Thanks Marco (and Ron) for the links. They will be most useful in optimizing my machine - Thanks Again - PK
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen View Post
They will be most useful in optimizing my machine.
Instead of trying to "optimize" an already overwhelmed Windows machine, just wipe it clean and start from scratch. Cleaning up your registry and getting rid of already installed software will never yield the same result. With computers so inexpensive today there is absolutely no reason for using the same machine for video editing and everyday "office" type work (e-mail, internet, word processing).

I am talking from personal experience. Since I have a dedicated computer for editing and a "general" one (use a KVM switch to keep only one monitor, one keyboard and one mouse on your desk), life is good again. This allowed me to edit native 1080i HDV realtime on a rather oldish P4 @ 3GHz and 1 GB of RAM despite of everything I read on this forum. (Disclaimer: I don't do heavy effects).
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #27
Major Player

[QUOTE=Jeremy Clark;703371]I recently made the jump to a quad core G5 running FCP 5.1 to support HD.

Call me crazy, but I fully intend on having both Adobe Production Premium CS3 & Final Cut Studio 2 running on my Mac.

You must be planning on buying a new mac than because premiere will only run on an intel mac not a G5. The only reason adobe is bringing it back to mac is because of the switch to intel chips.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite