Best format to move between Vegas and Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Trustee

Best format to move between Vegas and Premiere?

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of slow motion tests on vegas that are coming up very good, but I've been using premiere for more thant 7 years and I really enjoy editing on it. So I was wondering what would be the best format/compression to export my slow motion sequence from vegas so that I can edit it on premiere.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you have the disk space, probably just go with uncompressed AVI.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #3

u can use a lossless format like picvideo. if u can stand unoticeable loss, i'd use an intermediate format like cineform.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Trustee

Here are the export options I have:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/8309/1183818247.jpg

P.S - Although I'm planning to buy cineform in the future, right now I have a list of crucial things that I absolutely need first
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
If you have the disk space, probably just go with uncompressed AVI.
I did that very thing yesterday. Took an uncompressed HD out of Vegas in AVI format. The running time of the video is 18 minutes, the resulting file size was 263 Gigs. Oddly enough, it took the system over 2 hours to create that file. Kind of odd because uncompressed is the least computational intensive, at the expense of really large files. There were no cuts, and just a brightness/contrast filter on the clip.

Just wanted to warn others of the really huge files that uncompressed HD will generate.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Yes, this afternoon I've exported 1 minute just see how big a file it would produce...almost 7gb...which unfortunately would result in a no go for me, since I have 3 200gb HD with lots of useful data that I just cannot move or delete at the moment. Other than uncompressed what would be the second best solution?
Old July 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Trustee

Once you select AVI here are the available video formats:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/8309/1183841550.jpg
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #8
Trustee

bump...............
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #9

The other well known lossless compression format is HuffyUV. If this doesn't work, have you considered going to DV? Generational loss with DV is fairly small, and the only viable distribution, these days, is still DV.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Trustee

There are a bunch of lossless codecs: http://www.compression-links.info/Lossless_Video_Codecs

I use the one by MSU.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Trustee

Ok, I just downloaded Huffyuv, which I've been told would be the second best option...I exported a 1 minute file and ended up with a black video. I imported it to vegas and premiere and it makes them crash. I tried to play this file with different media players and it makes them crash. Am I missing something here? Is there a speciall way to export a Huffyuv AVI file?
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak View Post
There are a bunch of lossless codecs: http://www.compression-links.info/Lossless_Video_Codecs

I use the one by MSU.

Thanks a bunch! Very useful. I'm testing MSU as we speak.
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #13
Trustee

Very suprised you had triuble with huffyuv - in my experience it's about the most bomb-proof avi codec out there. Whereas I've had problems with the MSU codec. Weird!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
Very suprised you had triuble with huffyuv - in my experience it's about the most bomb-proof avi codec out there. Whereas I've had problems with the MSU codec. Weird!
Yes, go figure. I have tried exporting from both vega and premiere and my final result is always a black video that makes every application crash. It's a shame because I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about this codec. I don't know, maybe my setting are not correct...but I don't think this would explain why does the video make applications crash.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite