Project possibly corrupted, looking for opinions... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Well, how about that? I set it to export, turned in for the night and woke up to find it had "Unknown Error" somewhere! Ain't that a peach?

(shakes head in disbelief)

Anyway, I found this potential fix:

"Once you've finished editing you project and are ready to export your project as an MPEG file, use the old 3 finger salute to open Task Manager. Select the processes tab and select Adobe Premiere Pro.exe from the list of processes. Right-click the Premiere process and select "Set Affinity". Deselect all CPU listings except for the first one in the list (CPU 0) and click OK. Now export your project as an MPEG file. No more Failed to return a video frame error messages."

I'm going to give that one a shot, after confirming that all traces of Sound Soap have indeed been removed. See you in about 35 hours!
Jonathan Pokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM   #17
Major Player

Oh for crying out loud....

Do me (and possibly yourself) a favor and uninstall and reinstall PPro before starting. I can't believe that the app is completely undamaged at this point...

You don't have Dual Opteron processors on a Tyan motherboard do ya?

Interesting fix. I've never seen that one. I'll definitely be curious if it works...
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #18
Regular Crew

So much for the "fix"- my Task Manager does not have "Set Affinity"- only "Set Priority", and I get some interesting warning messages about system instability if I dare change anything.

That "fix" was from a thread in 2004, so it's outdated.

There was also another fix recommending changing the .exe file from "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe" to just "Premiere Pro.exe", but I can't find that .exe file in the Adobe PPro folder! (Assuming this fix is current.)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Major Player

I'm working in CS3 today and I can change it...you found it in "processes" tab of the Task manager right?

The executable should be in C:Programs/Adobe/Premiere Pro X.X...

You don't see it there?
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I found it in the Task Manager, but I cannot re-name a file there.

In the Adobe folder, I found two files which may be what I'm looking for:

One is the startup icon, clearly labeled "Adobe Premiere Pro", but doesn't say ".exe" (But I think this is the one.)

The other is "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe.manifest" (I have no idea what THAT is supposed to be...)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM   #21
Major Player

No...in the Task manager-processes tab, right click on it (while running) to set the Affinity...

You have to rename the executable...you may not have Windows set to show extensions, right click and select "properties' and you should be able to see if the file is ".exe" in there...
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM   #22
Regular Crew

The first file says, "Application", and the second says, "Manifest".

I've got PPro running, and opened the Task Manager- The only options I have when right-clicking are: End process, End process tree, and Set Priority- no "Set Affinity" option is visible.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Major Player

"Application' is the software application...

Are you logged on as administrator? i wonder if that has something to do with your access...
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kolb View Post
Are you logged on as administrator? i wonder if that has something to do with your access...
Yes, I checked to make sure.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Aha! I did some research and I found this:

"The Set Affinity command is available only on multiprocessor computers."

That solves one puzzle. Too bad it doesn't bring me any closer to solving my original problem! ;)
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I've had similar problems with a long-form PPro 1.5 Project. Two suggestions you may or may not have tried.

-Create a new administrator account in Windows. Login from that account and run Premiere from there.

-Opening a non-jacked-up project file first and then opening the problematic one has solved some random problems for me, but usually this is to deal with the "Sorry, Premiere has encountered and error..." bug.
Will Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thompson View Post
I've had similar problems with a long-form PPro 1.5 Project. Two suggestions you may or may not have tried.

-Create a new administrator account in Windows. Login from that account and run Premiere from there.

-Opening a non-jacked-up project file first and then opening the problematic one has solved some random problems for me, but usually this is to deal with the "Sorry, Premiere has encountered and error..." bug.
I did try that first suggestion earlier, but no luck. I also tried the second, but that was before I un-installed Sound Soap, so that may be worth looking into again. (If that works, thanks for the tip. If not, thanks for the help anyway!) :)

One other possibility is that the project file's size may have gotten too large for the software to handle adequately. Not too long ago before this happened the size was about 45mb. (I'm not referring to the project's size when it is exporting, but the "pproj" file in the Adobe folder.) I had no issues before, but the project has grown a bit since then.

I'm going to to delete a few small unused timelines and a thunderin' herd of takes that didn't get used in the final cut. This will take a while, but I'm running out of ideas and I need to see this project completed. Hopefully this will reduce the file size and make exporting a reality again. (IF in fact this is what the problem is.)
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #28
Regular Crew

It's probably not the project size that's the problem. I am working on a documentary with countless cuts and sequences and it tops out at about 90mb. I have dealt with similar instability issues, and they have definitely gotten worse as the project size has increased.

I was only able to get it stable after much heartache going though similar routine fix-all type tricks. Over the 3 years this film has been in editing I must've reimported it into a new project 6 or 7 times, reinstalled Windows at least twice, and I always edit with multiple user profiles. So those may be worth trying again.

Another thing you can do, if your project is pretty finalized, is create a trimmed project. Go to Project Manager - it's fairly straightforward. it will create a new copy of your project with ONLY the files you have on you timelines. It will even trim the media to match your cuts if you select that option.

It's a great tool for archiving projects, but it may solve your problem here. Be sure to eliminate any vestigal squences first.

Oh - and it can take a while. But most editors should be pretty used to waiting on computers. Good luck.
Will Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thompson View Post
Another thing you can do, if your project is pretty finalized, is create a trimmed project. Go to Project Manager - it's fairly straightforward. it will create a new copy of your project with ONLY the files you have on you timelines. It will even trim the media to match your cuts if you select that option.

It's a great tool for archiving projects, but it may solve your problem here. Be sure to eliminate any vestigal squences first.

Oh - and it can take a while. But most editors should be pretty used to waiting on computers. Good luck.

Thank you, Mr, Thompson! :) I will give that a shot instead of the "project trim" plan. Luckily, there's no hard deadline for this- but the sooner it gets completed, the better.
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Just an unfortunate update- using the Project Manager causes PPro to quit. I've also tried to export a regular AVI (non-HDV) and can't seem to do that either. (It stops without even an error message!)

It's not a corrupted file, as I've saved all my failed export files for comparison (I have ten now) and each one stops at a different point. Some get as far as 75 minutes into the movie, others stop at 24 seconds.

I'm running out of work-arounds, but there's one other straw I'm clutching at: Is there anyone whose had a similar problem that was fixed by upgrading to PPro 2.0?
Jonathan Pokay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite