Aja Mini KiPro - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old March 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #46
AJA

Re: Aja Mini KiPro

Dale G. - The simplest way to obtain a sample Apple ProRes QuickTime file might be to contact your local AJA reseller for the Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini. I believe your closest AJA reseller is Matrix Video Communications since you are located in Saskatchewan:
Matrix Video Communications Corp.

I know that Apple ProRes QuickTime files can be used in Sony's Vegas non-linear editor as I've seen ProRes files used in Vegas at NAB, IBC and other tradeshows, but I don't have any experience with Edius, sorry. However, the majority of applications that support QuickTime files can support the import and use of Apple ProRes files. Note: the Apple ProRes Decoder must be present for the footage to be viewed (it's included with the later versions of QuickTime and can be obtained for earlier versions of QuickTime from Apple directly as a download if needed.) Also, it's worth noting that the majority of Window's based systems (such as those you listed) are not able to export to the Apple ProRes codec; you could edit in Apple ProRes, but you might export to another codec for your final file. I think it would be sensible for you to visit your local AJA reseller, obtain some sample files and see if the Apple ProRes QuickTimes work for your workflow.

I hope this information is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #47
AJA

Tim K. - Please let AJA know if you need any assistance or have any questions about the Ki Pro Mini; AJA Technical Support is free of charge and they are happy to help. If you aren't already aware, we are not recommending the Lexar CF cards since an issue came to our attention when using those cards. (I mention this since the qualified CF card list that shipped with your product in the box might be out of date.) For the latest qualified CF card list, please visit:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/KiProMini_qualifiedCF_cards.pdf

I hope this information is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon! Got the number already in my phone just in case. Not expecting any problems with the cards, we're using the Sandisk Extreme (IV?) Pro's.
Tim Kerigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #49
Regular Crew

On the AJA site is a short demo movie about the Ki Pro Mini and an Anton Bauer battery parked behind a Sony PMW EX1. Is there anyone from AJA that can list the part number and manufacturer for the rod adapter and plate that attaches to the Ki Pro Mini side plate? I've figured out that the base plate and 15mm rods (and I'm guessing 3.5 - 4.5 in. rod extensions) are from Zakuto but I'm unsure of the other pieces.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #50
AJA

Don G. - What follows is a list of parts used with the Sony PMW-EX1 configuration in the video you refer to:
1x Zacuto Universal Base Plate v3 with 15mm rods and extensions
1x Ki Pro Rod End Plate which now has AJA SKU#*KIMINIRDNPLT-R0 (it's one part from what was originally the Ki Pro Rod End Plates kit for the original Ki Pro Exoskeleton)
2x Ki Pro Mini Mounting Plates
1x Ikan M-A Universal AB Mounting Plate
1x Anton Bauer Dionic 90 Battery
1x 2-pin P-Tap to 4-pin XLR adapter cable

I hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #51
Regular Crew

It is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to list everything off.

- Don

Jon, I just want to double check the part number for the Ki Pro rod end plate, partly because I've never seen a part number that contains a pound sign (#) and an asterisk sign (*) before. When ordering the part I use this part number: AJA SKU#*KIMINIRDNPLT-R0 and they'll know what it is?

Last edited by Don Greening; March 10th, 2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: addition
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #52
AJA

Don G. - Regarding the rod end plate, the number I provided you with is what your reseller can use to order the part. I have no idea why the asterisk got added to the description as that's not what I typed... just some form of text formatting issue with the posting to the forum I suppose. Sorry if there was any confusion because of that.

Hope that helps clarify things,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Thanks again, Jon.

- Don
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Shot all weekend with the Ki Pro mini and our PMW-350 and Ex-3, worked great! Actually balanced out the 350 better than without it too!

Sorry we didn't get a closer one, busy shooting schedule and I forgot to ask my photogrpaher to get some tight shots on the setup.

We flew the Ex-3 with an older Glidecam and the Ki Pro actually worked perfectly as a counter-weight! Not the most ideal setup, but it works in a pinch.
Tim Kerigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #55
Regular Crew

So you used the standard Ki Pro for your SteadiCam shot? Kewl
How long, if possible, can you power your Camera and the KiPro with a Anton Bauer Batterie?

Jon this should work http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/69224-REG/Anton_Bauer_POWERTAP28_PowerTap_28_28_PowerTap_to.html right?
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #56
AJA

Shaggy F. - Tim used the Ki Pro Minis on his project; you can see them in his images that he posted.

Regarding the cable you pointed out: the one you noted uses a right angle 4-pin XLR which I would not tend to recommend. The right angle 4-pin XLR connectors sometimes can be a bit tricky to fit when used with the Exoskeleton and the regular Ki Pro. I would recommend the use of a straight, not angled, 4-pin XLR connector. P-Tap to 4-pin XLR adapter cables with a straight connector are also readily available.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #57
New Boot

Jon, besides the Ki Pro Rod End Plate (which seems to be a bit hard to come by at the moment) are there any rod clamps that will work with the aja mounting plate? I tried a redrock clamp but unfortunately the two 10-32's towards the bottom of the plate are just placed a hair to close to each other to fit that clamp.

The guy at Filmtools and I spent about an hour trying to figure out a solution. No luck. :/

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Philipp
Philipp Eierund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #58
AJA

Philip E. - The rod endplates are available from AJA, but our resellers may simply need to order them so that they have them in stock.

If you want another option to mount to 15mm rods, you can use an option from Element Technica:

E L E M E N T _ T E C H N I C A - Viewing Product: V-DOCK 15mm

and

E L E M E N T _ T E C H N I C A - Viewing Product: AJA V-Lock Plate

You can see this in our document about mounting Ki Pro Mini available on the AJA website.

Additionally, Zacuto makes a number of accessories that could be used for mounting. There are four tap holes in the AJA mounting plate that can be used with their Double Mount as well as others.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:01 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Thorn View Post
Shaggy F. - Tim used the Ki Pro Minis on his project; you can see them in his images that he posted.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Not sure if my eyes are playing a trick on me but in the seconded image I see the standard KiPro, no?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM   #60
AJA

Shaggy F. - To the best of my knowledge, it's a Ki Pro Mini. That is what Tim said he used on the project. Though it's a little hard to see in the photo, the button layout seems to be a Ki Pro Mini.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro