Ki Pro - SD Codec? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old March 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Ki Pro - SD Codec?

I have an A/V firm shooting a conference this week that I am editing footage for. They are shooting in standard definition. They are recording to a Ki Pro.

What codecs can it record in SD? ProRes seems like dramatic overkill. DV would be a great answer - this is basic stuff and I don't really need uncompressed 10 bit or anything ridiculous. I can, of course, wait until the deck comes in, but I'd rather have piece of mind now.

Anyone know?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
AJA

Re: Ki Pro - SD Codec?

Mike W. - The Ki Pro records to the various flavors of Apple ProRes 422 codec; it does not record to the DV codec. Apple ProRes 422 is a 10-bit 4:2:2 codec compared to DV's 8-bit 4:1:1 codec. One hour of DV NTSC would require roughly 13GB of storage space. One hour of Apple ProRes 422 NTSC would require roughly 20GB of storage space. So the bandwidth requirements and capacity requirements for a storage array aren't going to be terribly taxed when working with Apple ProRes 422 NTSC compared to DV NTSC.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Ki Pro - SD Codec?

Wow Jon, straight from the horse's mouth.

I have a Ki Pro Mini on my wishlist for two separate studio builds this summer. Good to know there's support behind this product.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro