new firmware update - also guide to do it at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old August 5th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

new firmware update - also guide to do it

a new firmware update is available for the ki pro mini

also this is an excellent guide to let you connect the Ki Pro mini to your mac computer.
Updating the Firmware & Computer Controlling the AJA Ki Pro Deck Tom Guilmette – Director of Photography

thank you Tom!
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2
AJA

Re: new firmware update - also guide to do it

Ed D. - To avoid any confusion, users should visit the AJA website for the latest Ki Pro Mini firmware. The link and the information provided (while informative) is for the original Ki Pro product and I'm concerned users will be directed to the wrong location for the firmware for the Ki Pro Mini due to this. Just want to avoid confusion!

The Ki Pro Mini firmware can be found here:
Ki Pro Mini - AJA Video Systems

Information about the new features enabled in version 2.6 firmware can be found here:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/ReleaseNotes_KiProMini_v2.6.pdf

Instructions on how to install new firmware are found on page 57 and 58 of the Ki Pro Mini manual which is available from the AJA website at:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/AJA_Ki_Pro_Mini_Manual_v2.6.pdf

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Jon.

This is a great upgrade. As a RED shooter with a KiPro, will a similar KiPro upgrade soon be available?

Thanks.
Arthur Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #4
AJA

Arthur S. - Thanks for the feedback on the new firmware update. The features that have been added to the Ki Pro Mini will be added to the original Ki Pro product in an upcoming firmware update.

Thanks,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Jon,

This is great news. I can't wait. Thanks to AJA for the innovation and continued support.
Arthur Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Still trying to get a definitive answer to whether or not the Ki Pro Mini will take the tape Varicam's 60hz signal and record a 25P clip, with or without audio, maybe in VFR mode?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #7
AJA

Steve P. - With firmware version 2.5, or later, the Ki Pro Mini provides support for the 720p60 format (720p59.94 support was always provided). To extract 720p25 from the 720p60 signal, you would need to make the VFR selection in the CONFIG Record Type parameter.

720p25 within 720p60 is fairly uncommon; it was only used on the earliest Panasonic Varicam models. At AJA, the only 720p25/60 test tape we have from one of those early Varicam cameras is a series of Steadicam shots that were recorded without sound, so I can't speak to the audio portion I'm afraid. We use an early Panasonic VTR, the AJ-HD150, that can output the 720p25 within 720p60 signal to test with. When we set the Ki Pro Mini for VFR, it reports that it sees the 720p25 within the 720p60 signal and it records what appears to be accurate frame removal, producing a 720p25 recording.

If you own a Panasonic Varicam that produces the 720p25 within 720p60 signal, and you want to be sure that it works for your needs, you could likely contact your local AJA reseller to schedule a demo or test.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Jon.
I do have a tape Varicam, any idea who my local AJA contact would be here in the UK?
As to audio, I was wondering whether I could use the HDSDI for a 25P picture but use the Varicam's Audio Out into the Ki's analog Audio In to get synced sound?
I suggested this with the Nanoflash and it seemed to work.
The picture is the main thing for me though so as long as that works I'll probably get one anyway. So with VFR set on the Ki, you just dial in your chosen frame rate on the camera as normal?

Steve
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Jon,

Any news on the regular KiPro when new firmware will be available.
It's about a year now. We really need a solution for the auto-stop recording behavior.
And the firewire port to be activated would be a bonus.

Thanks for tbe support.

Marc Colemont
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #10
AJA

Steve P. - To find a list of AJA resellers in your area, simply visit the AJA website at:
Where to Buy - AJA Video Systems

Routing analog audio out of the Varicam to the Ki Pro might work as long as there isn't some processing delay intoduced somewhere between the audio and video paths. Again, AJA doesn't have one of these older Varicams to test with, sorry.

For VFR, the Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini recognize 720p23.98 (24), 720p25 and 720p29.97 (30) from within the greater frame rate signal.

Marc C. - As noted in post 4 of this thread, new firmware is being readied for the original Ki Pro. Regarding recording during a loss of video: if you have interrupted signal feeding the Ki Pro, we would recommend the use of a frame sync in line before the Ki Pro.

Again, development continues for both products and more firmware updates are planned.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #11
Inner Circle

So Jon, how does slow motion work, ie recording at 60 fps. Does it recognise it at all, is it possible to record it at 25P giving slow motion, or even just recording it as 60fps ready to be conformed to 25P to give slomo?
Or is it just not possible?
Steve
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #12
AJA

Steve P. - The Ki Pro Mini supports the "frame rates within larger frame rates" of 720p23.98, 720p25 and 720p29.97. It also records the native "over the wire" formats of 720p50, 720p59.94 and 720p60.

The Ki Pro Mini does not support "off speed" rates.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Jon,

this might be a little off-topic, but is it possible to use my Ki Pro to pass through video from Mac Pro to broadcast monitor? I would love to have a Kona card, but might be awhile to get my university to buy one.

I was thinking to do this: Out of the MacPro ---> displayport to HDMI adapter ---> HDMI in on KiPro ----> SDI out from KiPro ---> SDI in on broadcast monitor

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM   #14
AJA

Michael M. - Sorry, but the AJA Ki Pro products are video recorders that require baseband video signals; they are not computer editing interfaces. The AJA KONA and Io products are computer editing interfaces to facilitate audio/video input/output for non-linear edit systems, compositing and color correction apps, etc.

Two different tools for two different, but interrelated, tasks.

Hope this is helpful information,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Just looking at this in a slightly different way - as the Ki Pro detects and records the Varicam frame rate flags (I believe) if you were to set your frame rate in camera and then have everything record to the Ki Pro at 720/60P (as you would with tape) you could presumably then take the material into an NLE and frame rate convert as you would from a Varicam tape?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro