Is this a good mixer? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
hmm i like not breaking the bank, but what would be better? A $100 mixer? Or running the mics straight into the camera?
Hello Nathan,

Can you afford to buy cheap? Most people can't if their work is important.

I do not reccommend the mixers mentioned here. The cheapest one (for students) that I suggest is the ENG-44 from SignVideo.

It is not anywhere as good as my Sound Devices 442, but I have used it to get good results. Good audio is NOT trivial.

If you plan to be doing video for a while, plan on investing on good tools. Buying right once is much better than buying wrong and then having to buy again; not to mention that the audio you record with the nastier/cheaper pieces of gear will be your legacy.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM   #17
Major Player

I'd also say better rent something professional before you buy a cheap mixer. Renting a Sound Devices for a day or two will probably be less expensive than the 180$ you want to spend for a cheap mixer (that won't be very practical in the field...)
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM   #18
Machinist Mate

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUBB1002 is probably better than nothing for short-term, but the rigors of the road will show how B*hringer product is generally considered disposable, and you're lucky to get a year out of it.

Hey, can anyone tell me what in the world ever happened to the Shure FP field mixers? They used to be the right item.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:21 PM   #19
Inner Circle

They were replaced by Sound Devices, who now make one of thier mixers for Shure.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio