SPDIF via Coaxial to Audio Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Major Player

SPDIF via Coaxial to Audio Monitors

Hi!

I'm considering getting the JBL LSR4326P monitors for my editing studio. I plan to connect them via coaxial, but since I have never worked with coaxial before, I have a few questions. Since there is only one "SPDIF Out" coaxial connector, does that mean that the signal is sent to one monitor and from there to the second monitor via a second cable connected to the coaxial out on the first monitor? If so, how is the stereo sound handled? I "right" sent to the first speaker or the second? Does coaxial SPDIF handle 5.1 sound as well?

Thanks a lot,

Dale
Dale Stoltzfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Stoltzfus View Post
Hi!

I'm considering getting the JBL LSR4326P monitors for my editing studio. I plan to connect them via coaxial, but since I have never worked with coaxial before, I have a few questions. Since there is only one "SPDIF Out" coaxial connector, does that mean that the signal is sent to one monitor and from there to the second monitor via a second cable connected to the coaxial out on the first monitor? If so, how is the stereo sound handled? I "right" sent to the first speaker or the second? Does coaxial SPDIF handle 5.1 sound as well?

Thanks a lot,

Dale
On the JBL's there's a set of DIP switches on the back to indicate what position the speaker has in the setup. You connect the S/PDIF output to one of the speaker's digital input and daisy-chain another cable from that speakers digital output over to the other speaker's input. A single S/PDIF channel carries two audio channels, an "A" and "B". In stereo A corresponds to left and B corresponds to right and with the JBLs the speakers take care of decoding it so the correct channel comes out of the correct speaker. All the details for stereo and 5.1 setups are fully explained in the manuals which are downloadable from the JBL Pro website.

---added ---

Note that the S/PDIF inputs on the speakers do not decode 5.1 surround. You still need to use an external decoder that provides three digital outputs or an audio interface with 3 digital output channels. Each digital channel carries two audio channels, "A" and "B". Typically one channel will feed Left and Right Main, another Left and Right Surround, and the third feeds LFE and Centre. For stereo with the sub and bass management only 1 S/PDIF channel is needed.

Last edited by Steve House; August 1st, 2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Additional info on digital cabling
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks a lot Steve, that's all the info I need.
Dale Stoltzfus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio