Multitrack, Royalty Free Scores for Mix-down in Post? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 15th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Multitrack, Royalty Free Scores for Mix-down in Post?

I'm filming a documentary in Japan over the next year on a Panasonic AG-DVX100B, in 24pA on DV.

Of course, it would be great to hire musicians to actually perform an original score for the film, but--I may not have the time to chase capable people down and get them in the right contracts to make sure they actually deliver. (Not to mention I expect to make absolutely no money from the distribution of this thing.)

Given that, I am wondering what sort of packages are available out there that offer collections of songs that come in multitrack format--that is, not mixed down into stereo or 5.1.

What would be even better would be a collection of multitrack recordings that not only offers complete creative control over the mix down of each title, but also variations on the mood of each (you know, like a minor, dark mix available along side the same theme in a major key with suspended sevenths here and there). Something like that.

I have a ProTools rig to mix with, though I don't remember which version. (I'll look it up and repost later.)

MIDI, if at all possible, is to be avoided. I guess what I'm looking for is recorded, live audio without the hassle of trying to get forty stoners to congregate in a room all at the same time. (Apologies for the stereotype. It's late; I'm not thinking clearly.)

Peace, love, [I will never schedule a session at 4:20 at the bequest of one of my musicians agian]!

--Luke
Luke Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

http://www.smartsound.com/index.html

It's brilliant and getting better with continual new releases.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post

Cheers.
Seconded. You'll want the Strata series for multitrackness.
Mike Peter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post

Cheers.
Be careful to read the fine print with Smart Sound. Some of their sound libraries are not royalty free in certain countries. I bought some stuff from them, and then I found out later that what I bought was not truly royalty free. The packaging for the CDs was never opened, and I asked for a refund. They, of course, would not give it to me. Just be careful and read the fine print with their stuff if you intend on selling in non North American markets.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Initially I was concerned about this and contacted SmartSound. Here's part of their reply...

Our music is royalty-free worldwide. We license and/or produce the music
that way, and we have paperwork from our reporting agency (BMI) that shows it is royalty-free. However, not all countries follow the law when it comes to royalty-free status. For example, Poland does not recognize anything as royalty-free. As a country, they prohibit it. So it doesn't matter what our legal documents say, they will collect royalties on it anyway.

Germany is also particularly difficult when it comes to collecting royalties on songs they know they aren't supposed to. GEMA, the German reporting rights agency, occasionally harrasses our customers and demands payment. When this happens, we work with the customer to prove to GEMA that they aren't supposed to collect royalties. I have never had a customer need to pay once we get involved. But in the end, if GEMA demands payment anyway, the customer will most likely choose to pay rather than incur court costs. Luckily, this has never been necessary.

So the disclaimer was written with Germany and Poland in mind. However,
other countries may pass laws regarding music that we don't know about, that we cannot control. Hence the disclaimer.

Note that every case I've dealt with GEMA on have been productions created in Germany. We've never had an issue with music created in a different country which has then been sold into Germany.

That's good enough for me.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio