Any Issues Wiring a Wireless Lav Mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Trustee

Any Issues Wiring a Wireless Lav Mic?

I'm considering going with the Countryman B3 or B6 (I realize the B6 is smaller, but I'm not sure if there is much of a sound difference).

The mic will have a mini plug for use with the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100.

But I would like to use the mic wired whenever possible. Are there any issue with just attaching a mini to XLR adapter and running the mic with XLR cable to my mixer?

BTW, eqipment will be a SD 302 mixer sent double to a SD 702 recorder and a Canon HV-20.

Thanks for the help!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
...The mic will have a mini plug for use with the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100.

But I would like to use the mic wired whenever possible. Are there any issue with just attaching a mini to XLR adapter and running the mic with XLR cable to my mixer?

BTW, eqipment will be a SD 302 mixer...
This isn't going to work, sorry. All these little condensor mic elements need some bias voltage, usually somewhere about 1.5-3 volts DC, sometimes called "mic power".

When you buy the wired version, it comes with an XLR module that includes step-down of the phantom power your mixer supplies (usually 48v) down to what the mic element needs.

When you buy the wireless version, there is no step down needed, the transmitter supplies mic power.

There is a solution - get a version that includes both the xlr module and the 3.5mm plug, which can plug into the module or the transmitter.

I don't see such listed on Countryman's site, but other manufacturers do it, and some pro audio stores will do a modification for you, eg. Trew, LSC, etc.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Seth,

Thank you very much. BTW, do you have an opinion of the B3 versus the B6? Thanks again!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
I'm considering going with the Countryman B3 or B6 (I realize the B6 is smaller, but I'm not sure if there is much of a sound difference).

The mic will have a mini plug for use with the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100.

BTW, eqipment will be a SD 302 mixer sent double to a SD 702 recorder and a Canon HV-20.

Thanks for the help!
Hello Peter,

No Problem. Order your Countryman with "the link." Specify which transmitter you are using and its jack. Countryman regularly makes the link.

It costs about $40.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
...No Problem. Order your Countryman with "the link." Specify which transmitter you are using and its jack. Countryman regularly makes the link...
Thanks Ty!

Peter, this is what I was talking about, glad Countryman makes it.

Sorry, I've not used the B3, so can't compare directly. The B6 is a good mic.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Trustee

You guys ROCK! Thanks SO MUCH.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio