Best Shotgun Mic for $200-400? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Ah, if only. That post is from 2007.
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #17
Major Player

i have an AT-875R. i think it is a good mic for voice, but it rolls off a little too much low end to sound really natural... i like having the option to choose for myself what frequencies get rolled off! anyway, if you need an all around mic to also record ambiance etc., i would not recommend it. i generally end up using sE-A1 mics as a stereo pair for just about everything- ambiance, acoustic guitars, drums, room mics.... they sound great, but they are cardioid not shotguns and also need phantom (no batteries). for interviews the AT-875R gets relegated to an on-camera mic and i stick an sE-A1 on a mic stand as close as i can get. or if i need a translator, the AT goes on another mic stand to capture the translation to tape (invaluable for editing!).
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Ah, if only. That post is from 2007.
Darnit! didn't notice someone resurrected an ancient thread. He's active again, though. Just wish we would see him here.
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Here is a demo clip from a drama shoot I recently did, this has an AT 875 on a boom about 3-4 feet away:YouTube - 0004OS - iPhone.m4v

Note this is the master wide shot, single cut aways were done to pick up the dialogue closer but it all cuts in very well.

2nd clip shot outside:YouTube - 00104R - iPhone.m4v

Note the slight clipping is from the you tube decode and you can see the boom dip into shot in the latter part of the scene, this was a hand held cutaway but the mic was still straight into the camera.
Sounds great Gary thanks for the post. On the opening shot of the exterior scene, where was the mic? I'm setting up audio on a budget for a Canon 550D and will also be looking for a field recorder in the same budget level if you have any suggestions. I already have one high end Sony wired lav and thought I could use it on a second channel for ambient sound.
Michael Rockmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #20
Trustee

The mic is on the interior top right just out of frame just above where the clapperboard was and about 3-4 feet from the actors. It was on a gitzo carbon fibre boom swung by Ed Sunman.

The ext shot it was just above their heads and around 1-2 feet away, you can see it dip into shot near the end as I was hand held for this cutaway.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio