Audio From Sound/Mixing Board - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 17th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I'm with you both, Doug and Bill. Was just explaining how that one mixer is set up.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #17
Major Player

If you're not going to pull separate channels from the main mixing board into your own mixer, as some others suggested, talk to the sound person. See if his board allows sub-mixes (most larger boards do). If it does, have him provide you with a sub-mix that is tailored to your needs, this is usually what I do when I'm doing live music recording for festivals. I run my own set of mics on-stage, in the audience, and pull in a couple of channels that are mixed for me from the main board. I put each on their own track on my Deva and then mix everything in post.

However if you're only concerned with the music, just have them give you a nice mix for your camera. Also, it might be a good thing to plan ahead and make sure you have some attenuators for their board. Depending the soundboard, the signal may be too hot for your camera's line input. Knocking the sound down -10 dB or -15 dB should help prevent overdriving the camera's input.

Wayne
Wayne Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

all....I am a little late in thanking all for their comments. The bottomline was that I learned a valuable lesson underfire. I was to meet with the sound man before the band got going, but that did not materialize. The band's flight from NYC was delayed, they got there late and there was a made scramble to get 9 peoples mics going, etc.
Though I explained my concern about getting a mix for video versus a mix for the audience, I got the former. Instrument mix was a little low in comparison to vocalists. It sounded OK in my earphones realtime, but suspect I was hearing ambient sound in addition to the earphone audio. (the audio guy was very professional and helpful to me, so I appreciated that) He fed the audio via RF to the camera. That worked fine with only one loss of signal pop.
It is apparent to me that I should have been self sufficient and set up several mics in the room, with mixer, and get some attenuators.

live and learn....thanks all,
Jon
Jon R. Haskell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio