DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Tascam HD-P2 video sync: Composite or Component? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/101739-tascam-hd-p2-video-sync-composite-component.html)

Paul Martin August 20th, 2007 06:02 PM

Tascam HD-P2 video sync: Composite or Component?

Hello,

I just "buy-it-now"-ed an HD-P2 from Jim's Music Center on EBay and I'm planning on using it with a pair of AT3031s (in an ORTF configuration), shooting stereoscopic video with 2 HV20s. In order to get the best sync I can between the HV20s I'll be using an "LCD Sync Shepherd" which connects to each camera's 1/8" A/V jack and passively monitors each cameras video clock so that you know how far out of sync they are. Assuming the clocks don't drift a ton, you turn one camera on and off until it starts up with as little mis-sync with the other camera as you can tolerate. Anyway, ideally I want to keep the LCD Sync Shepherd hooked up to the cameras' A/V outputs at all times, so I'm hoping I can use the component output from one of the HV20s to sync with the Tascam HD-P2. The owner's manual PDF says one can feed a composite NTSC or PAL video signal into the HD-P2 for video sync, but it doesn't say anything about component. A guy at B&H couldn't help me, and told me to call Tascam, where another guy told me to follow the manual and only use composite, suggesting that I might damage the machine if I tried component. Whether I have to use composite, or can use component, I'll need a female RCA to male BNC adapter for use with either, so I bought a $3 Hosa one. The Tascam manual says something about the BNC connector's 75 ohms impedance, and I have no idea what this means with regard to my situation. I used the search option here on the boards and did find one mention of someone syncing his XH-A1 to the Tascam via Y component video output, but I started this thread because of the Tascam tech's warnings not to try anything the manual doesn't tell you to try... So, HD-P2 video sync--Tascam says composite, I'd prefer component--which should it be?

Seth Bloombaum August 20th, 2007 08:08 PM

So, is this HD or SD?

If you're going to try component, use the green signal, which typically carries sync.

No, I've not done this, don't have a tascam hd-pd, and can't guarantee anything about performance or safety.

Know any video engineers?

It does sound like a good topic for Tascam support - you've paid for it in the price of the deck, why not use it?

Paul Martin August 21st, 2007 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=It does sound like a good topic for Tascam support - you've paid for it in the price of the deck, why not use it?[/QUOTE]

You would think, right?

I called yesterday, like I said. Dude, let's call him "Alex", practically refused to listen to me, told me to just read the manual. The manual doesn't mention component one way or another. I asked him why they had a customer support line if every issue is addressed in the manual, then the call dropped. I had a suspicion he had hung up on me. No big deal.

I do a little more research, read that:

"In some high-definition applications, a tri-level sync signal is used instead. This signal is virtually identical to the synchronization signal used in component analog video (CAV)"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_signal_generator)

I call back today expecting to actually talk to somebody this time. I get the same guy, Alex. He's rude from the start. Ruder than yesterday. I ask to speak to his supervisor, he hangs up.

I call back, leave a complaint on some boss' machine, say it's been the worst customer service experience I can remember, which is true. Then I talk to another guy who doesn't know whether I can use component but says it probably won't hurt to try. A bit more helpful than Alex. At least nicer.

Jim Michael August 21st, 2007 06:47 PM

You can tell it's the top of an economic cycle when morons are put in customer interfacing positions.

Incompetence drives the economy.