Tascam HD-P2 video sync: Composite or Component? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tascam HD-P2 video sync: Composite or Component?

Hello,

I just "buy-it-now"-ed an HD-P2 from Jim's Music Center on EBay and I'm planning on using it with a pair of AT3031s (in an ORTF configuration), shooting stereoscopic video with 2 HV20s. In order to get the best sync I can between the HV20s I'll be using an "LCD Sync Shepherd" which connects to each camera's 1/8" A/V jack and passively monitors each cameras video clock so that you know how far out of sync they are. Assuming the clocks don't drift a ton, you turn one camera on and off until it starts up with as little mis-sync with the other camera as you can tolerate. Anyway, ideally I want to keep the LCD Sync Shepherd hooked up to the cameras' A/V outputs at all times, so I'm hoping I can use the component output from one of the HV20s to sync with the Tascam HD-P2. The owner's manual PDF says one can feed a composite NTSC or PAL video signal into the HD-P2 for video sync, but it doesn't say anything about component. A guy at B&H couldn't help me, and told me to call Tascam, where another guy told me to follow the manual and only use composite, suggesting that I might damage the machine if I tried component. Whether I have to use composite, or can use component, I'll need a female RCA to male BNC adapter for use with either, so I bought a $3 Hosa one. The Tascam manual says something about the BNC connector's 75 ohms impedance, and I have no idea what this means with regard to my situation. I used the search option here on the boards and did find one mention of someone syncing his XH-A1 to the Tascam via Y component video output, but I started this thread because of the Tascam tech's warnings not to try anything the manual doesn't tell you to try... So, HD-P2 video sync--Tascam says composite, I'd prefer component--which should it be?
Paul Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

So, is this HD or SD?

If you're going to try component, use the green signal, which typically carries sync.

No, I've not done this, don't have a tascam hd-pd, and can't guarantee anything about performance or safety.

Know any video engineers?

It does sound like a good topic for Tascam support - you've paid for it in the price of the deck, why not use it?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=It does sound like a good topic for Tascam support - you've paid for it in the price of the deck, why not use it?[/QUOTE]

You would think, right?

I called yesterday, like I said. Dude, let's call him "Alex", practically refused to listen to me, told me to just read the manual. The manual doesn't mention component one way or another. I asked him why they had a customer support line if every issue is addressed in the manual, then the call dropped. I had a suspicion he had hung up on me. No big deal.

I do a little more research, read that:

"In some high-definition applications, a tri-level sync signal is used instead. This signal is virtually identical to the synchronization signal used in component analog video (CAV)"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_signal_generator)

I call back today expecting to actually talk to somebody this time. I get the same guy, Alex. He's rude from the start. Ruder than yesterday. I ask to speak to his supervisor, he hangs up.

I call back, leave a complaint on some boss' machine, say it's been the worst customer service experience I can remember, which is true. Then I talk to another guy who doesn't know whether I can use component but says it probably won't hurt to try. A bit more helpful than Alex. At least nicer.
Paul Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Major Player

You can tell it's the top of an economic cycle when morons are put in customer interfacing positions.

Incompetence drives the economy.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio