Help mastering/mixing concert audio in post. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Really? Ozone comes with Sound Forge 9?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found out it's not the whole Ozone suite that comes with Sound Forge 9.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
It's on audio post, as the title suggests. I don't remember it recommending any particular mixing application (or console) other than talking about the advantages of some of the better plug-ins out there... e.g. multi-band dynamics.

It's a truly excellent book. Easy to understand, has very practical information, and has depth / gets into more advanced stuff.

Glenn is there a bookstore in Toronto that you know of where I can pick this up locally? I'd like to browse through it than buy blindly from Amazon. None of the Chapters locations seem to have it though.
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
One thing to consider with Waves is their copy protection. Not everybody cares, but it's a deal killer for some.
Since Waves moved to the iLok scheme (same as iZotope), it's not bad. But the old hard drive scheme drove me nuts.

Wayne
Wayne Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #19
Inner Circle

The Sound Forge 9 deal with iZotope's mastering package (multi-band compressor, limiter, EQ & reverb) is CP free. As mentioned above it's not the whole Ozone enchilada.

Also, even though the SF9 iZotope package is hosted as a plug in, it only appears to work in SF9. I can't open it in the latest version of ACID Pro nor Vegas 5, for instance.

One clarification about the Nuendo for Mastering comments above, Nuendo can host VSTs, so you can use it for mastering, but I wouldn't recommend buying Nuendo specifically for mastering. Most any *high quality* VST host will do. The key is the plug ins, for instance Ozone & Waves...
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #20
Major Player

Which Waves program competes with Ozone?

Waves seem to offer quite a few applications/plugins.
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #21

The WAVES Gold bundle is closest.
FWIW, I've been a huge advocate of WAVES products, but even with a physical USB iLok authorized for most of their plugs, it's a huge PITA when they upgrade a version, because of how the iLok functions.
iZotope is used on almost every project we do, both audio-only and video/audio.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Which Waves program competes with Ozone?

Waves seem to offer quite a few applications/plugins.
Probably the closest would be the Renaissance series from Waves as they are gearing it to be more "analog" sounding. Ozone is like 5 plugs in one. Its a major resource hog though so make sure you have the right machine if you're doing video editing at the same time.

Me personnally, I have and use both, but favor Waves for most things. (especially limiting)
Ron Sanders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio