4-ch wireless setup. Recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

4-ch wireless setup. Recommendations?

I've been asked to spec an audio system for small corporate events. I'm recommending two omni lavs and two handhelds (Shure SM58s).

So... what wireless system to use. Sometime ago I bought a Shure SLX setup, and I wasn't happy with the results. The range was good, but there was too much noise and no high end.

We don't need a premium system like a Zaxcom, but we will budget for more than a Shure SLX or a, ahem, Nady. Any recommendations? My first instinct is to look at Sennheiser's line.

We need four channels, reliability, reasonable quality and simple, simple setup and frequency selection. I'd prefer four integrated receivers to four separate boxes. The receiver should be rack mountable.

To give an idea of the scope/quality, other pieces are likely to be
* A Mackie 1202-VLX3, if not a 1402-VLZ3
* A couple of Mackie SRM450 powered speakers on poles
* A feedback killer, possibly Behringer's FBQ2496 (I assume I can use a single unit on the effects send.) I'm open to better suggestions. Behringer's stuff can be hit and miss.
* A simple reverb/effects unit (just enough of a reverb plate so people can hear themselves through the speakers. It keeps people from saying, "hey, is this thing on?") Suggestions?
* Cables
* A small rack-mount box

The typical audience is 100-200, sometimes indoors, sometimes outdoors. It's mostly for speaking. Occasionally, we would play canned music or a video in a Power Point presentation.

Also, anybody know of a decent phone setup that we could plug into the mixer (in and out)? We often have remote guests, and we can do better than mic'ing a conference phone.

All input appreciated!
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm a big fan of the Sony 800 series wireless for corp. meetings. Check out this receiver:
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...WL800receivers

Goes with any of the transmitters on this page:
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...00transmitters

All of which are excellent with Countryman E6i earset microphones, they do *much* better than lavs, more effective than a feedback killer. But I have used the Behringer with lavs, it's OK. The trick is to turn everything up during sound check and do a ring-out so that you start out with any offending frequencies already notched.

I have a six-pack receiver, slightly older model than above. The AN-820 amplified antennae are excellent (only use 50 ohm cable!), and overall the system is compact and quick to set up. UHF, diversity reception, frequency agile, nice stuff. And, also compatible with 800 series battery operated receivers for cameras.

Or, rent it from me, I'm in Portland :-)

BTW, I have both, but, most people will be more comfortable with the slider faders on the 1402 than the pots on the 1202.

Then, typically you want a channel of 31-band graphic eq and a channel of compress/limit.

For phone, check out Comrex and JK Audio. Telos is pretty nice, too.
http://www.bswusa.com/searchresult.a...cat=telco-hybr
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Seth,

This info is perfect! Now, we'll see if they have sticker shock. I'll explain that they shouldn't go cheap on wireless audio. Maybe we'll take you up on that rental, just to show them the difference between a pro and non-pro setup...
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

My choice

I like the Sennheiser wireless for my needs. Find the unit here. http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...p?transid=G2-2

I use 4 of these for interviews. They are half rack but come with an adapter kit to join the two together. I purchased a 4 rack travel rack that I mount them into along with my pro tools rack. I keep the transmitters all in the pouch so the whole kit is ready to go.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio