Short (custom?) XLR cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 30th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Short (custom?) XLR cable

I went hunting around the city today looking for a short XLR cable to use with my mic when it's on the cam. But, most of the cables looked flimsy or poorly made. The kind you used to see covered in dust, shoved in a tech room corner in highschool.

Where do you guys go (either on, or offline) to get your mic cables. Hell, any cable! I really only want one a foot in length at the most, but I'm not sure if they come that short without being custom made.

also - any brands recommended? brands to avoid?
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #2

I mail order everything I need from AZ Cables. They have hi-quality 2 foot cables like you need...go with Canare...you won't regret it.

http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables.s.../View/AC3H&2D3
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've gotten a number of cables from Armatos-they will customize if you need to.
Don B.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Howdy there Andrew! (Boy if that intro doesn't make you question the info you're about to receive I don't know what would)...

Anyway, I get all my cables from Filmtools.com or from Locationsound.com... Location sound's PSC xlr cables are technically just custom Canare cables anyway... still with Neutrik connectors on the ends... if you want 90 degree ends on your cables then get 'em from Location sound and tell them that's what you want... otherwise for normal ends go with Filmtools.com... they are CHEAP and they ONLY SELL THE BEST...

With either the "PSC" cables from LSC or the "custom Canare" cables from Filmtools you will be getting the same thing... the best grade of xlr cable made with the best grade of Canare cabling... heavy, flexible, supple, L-4E6S... nice semi-fat cable... do I sound a little too passionate about my xlr cables from Filmtools? I am.

If all you need is one single short cable then LSC is probably going to be the best bet. Filmtools shortest length is 3'... LSC has 18"...

If you end up with several xlrs and none of them exceeds 30' get a pack of Rip-Ties in the 6" length also to organize your coiled xlrs... for the couple extra bucks you'll be glad you did. (8" Rip-Tie will get you to about 50' cables then 12" Rip-Ties for a mile of xlr...)
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio