Edirol R-4 Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 18th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Edirol R-4 Pro

I am thinking of getting an Edirol R-4 Pro to record audio with my JVC HD100 camera. I have two questions.

1. I know I can record 4 channels of audio, but can I mix them all down to one channel to send to the camera as reference? I want to be able to record the boom and three lavs to the Edirol and at the sametime send a mix of all four channels to the camera for reference.

2. What is the best way to sync timecode between my JVC and the Edirol?
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Cross View Post
What is the best way to sync timecode between my JVC and the Edirol?
The best way is probably a digital slate, like one of the Denecke models.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Time_Code.html
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I thought I remember seeing a device that would take out of your camera and convert the timecode to LTC SMPTE to use with other devices. I did some searches and can't find anything, so maybe I am wrong.

The slate you are talking about would be synced to the R-4 and I would have to manualy sync my picture and sound. Correct?
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
The slate you are talking about would be synced to the R-4 and I would have to manualy sync my picture and sound. Correct?
Yes. The slate's digital time-code display would be visible in every shot you use it in, so it would be pretty easy to sync sound with image.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
I am thinking of getting an Edirol R-4 Pro to record audio with my JVC HD100 camera. I have two questions.

1. I know I can record 4 channels of audio, but can I mix them all down to one channel to send to the camera as reference? I want to be able to record the boom and three lavs to the Edirol and at the sametime send a mix of all four channels to the camera for reference.

2. What is the best way to sync timecode between my JVC and the Edirol?
1) Sure you can send a your audio to a camera as a reference. Pan your boom mic to one track and your lavs to the other.

2) Another method...since the jvc100 doesn't have TC in or out for slavage...is to run both units at time of day TC, free run, non-drop frame. Start them running at the same time to get you in the ball park.

The TC will be discontinuous, so you need to allow for extra pre-roll and post roll for the editing system.

Before each take, send a reference tone from your mixer to be recorded on ALL tracks. A series of three beeps should give you enough to visually line the waveforms up on the Editing timeline for syncage.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio