Connections, Mounts, & Setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 10th, 2003, 11:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Connections, Mounts, & Setup

I need help with setting myself up for several scenarios.

I'm still super green on this audio stuff. 8-)

Here is the equipment I have:

DVC80 Camera (same audio as DVX-100)
Sennheiser Evolution 100 ENG Kit (Trans, Rec, Lav, and SKP100 plug on)
ME-66/K6
Rycote Softie
Pistol Grip with Rubber Shotgun Mount
25' XLR cable

Here are the scenarios I would like to be able to do:

1. Wireless Lav on CH1 and Onboard Mic on CH2 for ambient sound

2. Wireless Lav on CH1 and ME66 on Boom Pole on CH2

3. Shotgun on camera on CH1 (with or with out Wireless on CH2)

4. Wireless Shotgun (on camera or boom pole)

Problems/Questions I already ran into:

A. Using the onboard MIC Mount the Rycote gets in the frame on the wide shot. I am guessing that I need some type of hot shoe mount that can be using in conjuction with the Rycote mount (which can be unscrewed from the pistol grip)

B. I don't want to velcro the EW100 receiver directly on the camera and the included 1/8" to XLR cable is only about 18" Any type of attachable plate for this?

C. I am guessing that I am supposed to be setting the inputs to MIC rather than LINE. Also, the -50dbu default seems better than the -60dbu option. What are the correct settings for this setup?

D. I have read on the message boards that the camera has an automatic Audio Gain that needs to be turned off, but I have searched high and low through the manual and can find no reference to an Auto Gain except for the video one. Any idea on this?

E. Finally, once I'm all hooked up and testing, do I want the average signal to be at -12 with occasional peaks into the red or to I want the peaks to "tickle" -12 and not exceed?

Thanks
Carl Slawinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #2
Old Boot

Carl? Any Update?

I'm interested in your solutions for, "B. I don't want to velcro the EW100 receiver directly on the camera and the included 1/8" to XLR cable is only about 18" Any type of attachable plate for this?"

Regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #3
Trustee

I did use a mighty wondercam mini rover.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Graham,

I haven't bought one yet, but it looks like this bracket will do the job nicely.

www.bracket1.com

The sell it at B&H for $59 which is cheaper than direct. (part # BRB1A)
Carl Slawinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #5
Old Boot

Carl, thanks for that. Yup, saw this sometime back. I was gonna go down this route, if I didn't find a more "elegant" solution. I think I've got one now by using what I said above.

Thanks - Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

B. I too find the Evolution 100's under 2' receiver to camera cable limiting for handheld work, but rather than attach the receiver to the camera either via velcro or an accessory bracket, I'm getting a longer XLR cable (3-6'). I find that weighing the camera down with brackets and audio receivers negates two of the big plusses of shooting with small DV camera, the light weight and the unobtrusiveness of the camera body (compared to a shoulder mount pro cam).

D. The DVX'S ALC control is a limiter rather than the type of gain booster found on auto audio circuitry of consumer camcorders. Thus, you can always safely leave it on without worrying that it will articificially boost your b.g. sound if there's no louder sound being picked up (like dialogue).

E. As for audio recording levels, what works for me is allowing the average level to hit at betwee -6 DB and -12, with peaks nudging up closer to 0; this way, I get a better signal to noise ratio, and let the ALC clamp down on any peaks that hit above 0.

So far, no problems with this method, no clipping of the audio.

Hope this helps!
Stas Tagios is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio