ATTN: Film makers what mic are you using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 12th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ATTN: Film makers Boom Operators/Sound Team what mic are you using?

To those recording feature style/tv style films.
(If using different mics for indoor / outdoor /fx please specify make/model etc)

if you're doing other work, and would like to contribute, awesome, please mention what field your in/mics as well.

Thanks all
Alturo Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: ATTN: Film makers what mic are you using?

I'm making indie films, and here is a list of the mics I am using. I don't have the best, just the best I can afford:

shotgun:
AT835b (primary boom mic)*
Azden SGM-1x (backup and second boom)

hypercardiod condenser:
Rode NT3 (indoors)*

multi-cap condenser:
Oktava MK-012-01 with cardiod cap and hypercardiod cap*
(indoors)

lavs:
two Sony ECM-55b (body and hide mics)*
Shure SM11 dynamic (backup, certain interview appilcations)

dynamic:
AT Pro4L (used for loud noises, loud sound effects and some interview-type applications)

mixers:
Peavey RQ-200** (love this one but only provides 18v phantom)
Behringer MX802a* (sees more use because it provides full 48v phantom)

headphones:
Audio-Tehnica ATH-M30* (if you know of a better set of hphones for the same or less money ($60) let me know because I'll definitely want to get my hands on them!)

Like I said, I have to make my decisions with price a big factor. I put an * by the products I really like and recommend.

** recommend only if 18v phantom instead of 48v phantom isn't a show stopper for you - that's why I also have the Behringer!

<<<-- Originally posted by Alturo Nguyen : To those recording feature style/tv style films.
(If using different mics for indoor / outdoor /fx please specify make/model etc)
Thanks all -->>>
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I think your title is going to limit your responses so I'm going to toss in my .02 to get your ball rolling... I wouldn't call myself a "film maker" although that's what I'm in this for... and I'm working with some other people to get a short done this summer... my mics are as follows and I'll tell ya' why I like 'em.

Shotgun: me66... super clear, detailed sound. Excess pickup (meaning it's super-loud/sensitive and sometimes needs to be potted down when many mics in this range need to be pumped up in post)... it is BY FAR best on a boom... and you absolutely MUST boom it indoors... it is SO sensitive that room reflections will ruin it's ability for indoor use UNLESS you properly boom it... It's absolutely great outdoors, but again, booming is best. If I could have afforded an even better Sennheiser I would have gotten one, but you have to more then double the price...

One note about the shotguns (any GOOD one) is that you MUST properly support it with a Rycote or some other mount plus softie or blimp system... you will be dissappointed using a shotgun if you don't just bite the bullet and get the extra "support" which will end up costing MORE then the shotgun itself once you include a boom.

Lavs: trams mostly but occasionally a Senn mke2... trams are super open sounding and mix well with the shotgun... good overall sound but if you have to buy these new I'd probably go with something else (such as Countryman b3)... easy to come across used if your patient... plenty of detail...

The trams and me66 will give you dialog plus ambience that will make it sound like you mixed a foley track with studio vocals... but that sensitivity means that unwanted sounds can ruin your track...

For a closed sound... like quiet "in studio" sound... I use a Beyerdynamic m58... most guys in here will say to use a better studio mic for not too much more money... but I chose this mic so that I could use it as a prop... also for eng/efp... and because you can get a closed sound in a less then perfect environment... and with a handheld you can get that sound w/o a shock mount or special precautions...

If I were making a REAL film (beyond film festivals) I wouldn't use an m58 for adr though...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 06:28 AM   #4
Major Player

I use the me-66 with the Canon Xl1S when shooting in Mini-DV.

I think this mike gives you a reall clean base to work with when doing dialouge.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 12:36 AM   #5
Wrangler

AT 835B on boom pole or on camera
Shure SM81 for very loud sounds and overhead microphone
Sennheiser Evolution 100's for most things
Shure 4043SE Voice overs and music
Shure Beta58 Noisy environments, singers.
Sony ECM 44B Whenever I can use a wired lav
Old dynamic lavaliere For very noisy situations but need lav.
and some mongrels.

Shure FP32 mixer for around the nec,
Shure 267 mixers (2) for fixed locations

Light Wave Systems blimps and shorties, Rycoat fuzzies for the Beta58 and the Lavs.

Headphones are Sony active noise cancelling or Sony ear buds if hand holding shoulder camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio