Best speakers to use with FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best speakers to use with FCP?

Just bought a new Intel Mac pro and FCP 6 but got no speakers with it (appart from the tiny internal one) So what would folks recomend would be the best value speakers to put on the Mac for video work? Apples own range that look nice but not sure of sound quality or some more pro level of speaker?

I'm in the UK so any recomendations of where to get them would help too :-)

Kevin
Kevin Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I also just purchased a new Mac Pro with FCS2 and I am using Hosa 8" monitors which are hooked into a Presonus Firepod. The sound is excellent and you can record up to 8 channels.

It all came from Zotz Digital a DVinfo.net sponsor at a great price.
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Kevin,

Take a look at the Edirol MA-15DBK - they might not look space age, but they work!
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Speakers

What is your budget? that will tell all. Do yourself a favor and find a music store that will let you audition different models (like Guitar Center or Sam Ash) let your ears be your guide some speakers can look cool in the advert but can sound horrendous to a particular listener, Speakers are a very subjective. what I might think sounds heavenly could sound like crap to you. in the lower price ranges you're going to find out that this is more prominently the case and that most speaker manufacturers use of the shelf components rather than custom matched items, there fore having greater differences in sound. where as the higher end speakers all really try to give you a sonic "Flat Line" response, and will end up sounding alot closer to each other than at the lower end. anyways... don't buy ANY speakers that you didn't listen to first!!!! remember that sound is half the quality of your project. having said that.."how much did you pay for your camera?"... well don't sacrifice the sound either. because , if you cant hear it accurately , you cant make an accurate decision.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Gallegos View Post
having said that.."how much did you pay for your camera?"... well don't sacrifice the sound either. because , if you cant hear it accurately , you cant make an accurate decision.
Amen to that! I constantly see people who seem to think they can skimp on the audio part and get away with it. Remember that a gorgeous movie with bad sound will seen as a poor film by the audience. However, a so-so shot movie with great sound will register as a better film by audience members. Our eyes don't mind so-so quality, but our ears do mind.

Wayne
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

K&H, ADAM, Genelec, Meyers.

There you go.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Kevin, just a few extra comments. There are 2 kinds of good speakers, those that make your audio source sound great, and those that reproduce the sound accurately-(usually referred to as "reference" monitors).

Listening to speakers is important. Take a few CD's of music/soundtracks you know really, really well. Generally, great sounding speakers will accentuate the treble and bass, reference monitors provide a 'flatter', more balanced sound. What I listen for is how clearly the speakers can delineate the different instruments, how clear everything is. Also, good speakers never seem to fatigue my ears.

Also, some keep in mind some speakers are self-powered, some require a seperate amplifier. (Another research project!)

And lastly, the environment you listen to your speakers in, their placement and the ambient noise, including reflecting sounds from the speakers themselves, will make a big difference in what you hear. Just getting "name" speakers/monitors doesn't guarantee good audio... Anwyway, good luck.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Kevin

Since you're in the UK, you might want to look into the Rogers LS3-5A genre - the long time favorite BBC remote recording monitors.
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Major Player

If you want what everybody else has these days then go for a pair of the small Genelecs 8020A. Active small near fields as used by TV studios throughout U.K.
About £399 for a pair and they sometimes come in a handy carrying bag.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Another vote for Genelec. Also consider the Mackie 824 nearfields.
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #11
Major Player

I use three pairs of monitors for my work (not all video stuff). For my video editing desk I have a pair Elac Sattelites hooked up to an Elac 10" Sub.

On my "audio mixing" desk I have a pair of Spirit Absolute 2's which not only sound great but look uber cool too. Next to them I have a pair of Genelec 1029A's which are simply stunning, I tend to use them for the quieter mastering stuff.

Oh and there's also a cheap Aiwa Hi-Fi sat on my desk.

Bear in mind the amp is just as important as the monitors themselves.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #12
Major Player

Simple answer to a simple question: The biggest Genelecs (with 7000-series Subwoofer) your room and wallet can accomodate...
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
Simple answer to a simple question: The biggest Genelecs (with 7000-series Subwoofer) your room and wallet can accomodate...
Yeah, this!! ^
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #14
Trustee

having done the side by side... certainly don't buy anything with doing so, and be sure to listen to dialog. if you can't do that, at least acoustic guitar.

in the sub $500/pair category, I' liked the mAudio BX-5a's for $300/pair. very clean for dialog. other speakers like KRK were muddy for dialog. going above that, dyna-audio where amazing, very clean, great bottom, but $500 EACH :(

personally I mix on B&W's with a separate A&B power amp / phase meter. expensive pair, but you can listen to them 12hrs straight without fatigue. they don't have super big bottom, but they are clean and have a relaxed honest sound. also good for dialog, but don't quite have the transient response of the BX-5a's, but are easier on the ears.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Major Player

I have a Pro Tools/FCP based home studio and used Tannoy Reveals with a Yorkville CR-5 power amp. Great monitors, flat and no ear fatigue. I have moved my studio to Africa, and so had to downsize considerably. I needed smaller powered monitors and almost bought the KRK 5s, but after extensive comparisons with speakers I could never afford, I was pleasantly surprised by Yorkville YSM2Ps. they aren't as flat as the Tannoys, but they don't have the scooped mids of the KRKs that make it impossible to accurately mix voice or guitars. As with any decent monitors, you just have to learn them a bit, and they were only around $300. I thought I knew what I was going to purchase until I actually LISTENED...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio