SD302>CanonA1 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SD302>CanonA1 ?

I have to hook up to the A1 in a couple of days from 302 line level.
I've looked at the A1 manual and seems to be straight forward, but I remember another thread saying there is something different about the operating level of this camera, and can't remember which forum I read this on. I'm assuming -20 302 tone at -20 on camera and check with the 302 full code tone and see were it is. Any one with similar experience?
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I forget if the A1 shares this problem, but the H1 does not have true line level ins. You'll want to take the 302's outs and the camera's ins down to mic level if you notice this.

Come to think of it I noticed this on an XL2 as well. Could be a property of all Canons in this range?
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The manual for the H1 and the A1 are the same. All 3 cams in one manual.
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Major Player

I use SD302 to XH-A1 combo. The line in on the cam is low, the pots can in practice be turned all the way open. When using full level tone I found out you should turn the potentiometers just a tad from full open, but I just run them at full open with SD302 limeter set at -3 dBFS (+17 dBVU). I think it is safer than using mic level inputs anyway.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Petri, thanks for the info. After some more searching it appears this cam set at line level is about 8 db low. Others have said use mic level, but I'd rather not.
Did you notice any noise by cranking the A1 pots mostly wide open at line level? I usually run my 302 limiter at +17.
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

OK, another thought. When using line level in on the A1, I'm thinking the line level setting is just a resistor pad and still goes throught the mic preamp.
And it's not good to run the pre all the way up, might bring in noise. So wouldn't it be better to set up- 302 for mic level out and run into A1 set at mic?
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Brooks,
I had this issue, and in the end I tweaked the SD302's output down from Line level and then used the XLR inputs on the A1 set to Mic Att. That way you can use all the benefits of the 302 (limiters, etc..) and run the A1's channel gain levels around mid way.
Sound recorded is great (I was only recording voices).
Regards, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Ross,
Yes, I'm doing dialog.
I think mic level is the best way. I have a rule.... when you have to turn a pot all the way up, or all the way down to get the proper level, something is mismatched. If the gain pots are in the mid postion using mic+att, this would give the best signal-to-noise.
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Have to do some tests...
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I set it up, but used a SD Mixpre instead, with 2 Shure 50db attenuaters.... line to mic level, because the Mixpre doesn't have mic output, just line. Went mic in on cam without the mic att switch off. -20 tone was with the gain pots about 2/3 open.
Read the manual to the A1, but it was still a brain scratcher to figure out how those buttons on top of cam work. More like trial and error, and I had a copy of the manual in my hands! Add to this the fact that you turn the gain pots on cam COUNTERCLOCKWISE TO INCREASE GAIN.... stupidist thing I've ever seen!
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I've tried line level in and mic in with att on (SD302 to XH-A1) and to my ears the line level in sounds cleaner. I'd love to hear more opinions from people who have tried it both ways.
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #12
New Boot

I'd love to hear more about this...

...I'm just getting to where I can feel the need for a mixer, and am hoping to get it figured out soon. Seems a shame Canon made the audio section of the camera so goofy and mismatched. Any ideas why?

Anyone else care to talk about their setup for XHA1 and mixer?
Scott Squire is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio