Speakers died at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Speakers died

I have my new Bx5's plugged up to my m-audio pci card. And all the sudden I got this loud buzz in my right speaker, it doesn't matter if my speaker jack is plugged in or not, the other speaker doesn't have the buzz. These speakers are relatively brand new. I figured it might be a ground issue or a network interference issue, so I pulled the speaker away from my desk about 6 feet and with only the power plugged in, I still have the buzz. Any ideas?

I was hoping it was my power cord, but I used the same one from the non-buzz speakers and I still got the buzz. Also the non buzz speaker is just powering down. When I turn the buzz speaker on and off, it pops very loud and then starts buzzing.

Last edited by Steven Davis; November 14th, 2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: testing
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Steven...........

Sounds like it's toast, to me.

Guess it's time to go call in that warranty and get a replacement.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Chris is probably right but before you do, completely the L & R connections at the interface. If your buzz moves to the other speaker the fault is in interface. If not, swap the speaker ends of the cables between the two speakers. If the buzz moves now, it's the cable that's bad. If not, it's probably the speaker and as Chris suggested, see if you can swap it out for another or get it replaced under warranty.
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks, after that, I guess since the thing is just buzzing with only the power plug, I guess I'll give them a call today. I can't remember exactly, but I think the speakers are less than 6 months old.
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Update

I went last night and picked up a pair of Yamaha HS50ms. I debated about getting a bigger set of speakers, but budget and such, I went with something pretty much the same size, and from what the salesperson said, a better speaker than my BX5es.

According to M-audio, I'm going to have to send my defective product back. I am not happy that after 5 months that speaker went. That's ridiculous. And for m-audio not able to do an in store RMA is annoying. So to replace them, I bought Yamaha, hopefully these won't die.

Vent over. Thanks for the help guys.
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I picked up HS50ms
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Update;

Well now I got my Bx5's back in the mail this week. Now I have four speakers. As far as I can tell from the voicemail description, the main board in one of the speakers died. I haven't opened up the box, but now I have four speakers, one short of surround. Yipe
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Update;

Well now I got my Bx5's back in the mail this week. Now I have four speakers. As far as I can tell from the voicemail description, the main board in one of the speakers died. I haven't opened up the box, but now I have four speakers, one short of surround. Yipe
Whee - buy one more of the same type as the better of the two pair, make those three your front and centres and you're well on your way to surround.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio