Recording dual mono at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording dual mono

I have a V1U, which only has 2 audio inputs. If I want to use 2 separate mics on this, is there a disadvantage to recording dual mono tracks, then doubling the "good" track in post? I'm shooting with the onboard mic from the V1U and a shotgun on a boom pole.
Arturo Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Major Player

There is nothing wrong with using the two available channels on the camcorder to record two separate mono mics. The one thing you lose, though, is the ability to record the same mic with different gain settings, so you'll have to be more careful to avoid clipping. But as long as you have two good mono tracks (from two mics), sure, go ahead and decide in post which one works best (or combine a mix of both).

Make sure your camera supports the use of the internal mic and an external mic at the same. I don't have a V1U myself, but not all cameras can do that.

- Martin
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Fortunately the V1U doesn't have an internal mic, but rather two XLR inputs for CH1 and CH2... the included mic with the V1U being a cheap Sony shotgun mic.
Arturo Glass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio