music rights (AGAIN) at
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:44 AM   #1
Major Player
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hannover, Germany
Posts: 400
music rights (AGAIN)

Where or whom or which organisation can I speak to to obtain advice.

Shot a film to a piece of music. Universal want too much so we are now looking at an alternative. For example, would a cover version, played by different artist be cheaper, who would licence that etc etc?

If a privately hired performer playing the same bit of music be ok? How would we obtain rights to transmit that?

Any help would be appreciated
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 262

Well... a cover band is still using the copyrighted song, and therefore is still protected under copyright. the melody and lyrics are usually protected individually, thats why in a lot of commercials you hear sound alike songs, but not the actual melodies. so sadly to say that a local artist can legally play someone else's song live, they cannot reproduce and re-distribute that song with out permission from the copyright holder, think of all the lawsuits over the last 20 years involving even 5 to 10 second clips from other songs (Rap Hip/Hop). contact some one at either ASCAP or BMI, these are the two biggest copyright institutions. I am sure they can explain it better than me.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
And to add a note, research the clearances you need and obtain the licenses for the music you want to use BEFORE shooting the video to avoid this issue in the future. There are actually two licenses involved with using music off of a commercial CD - one is the copyright on the recording itself which requires a master use license from the owner of that copyright and the other is the copyright on the music per se, melody and lyrics, owned by the music publisher, the use of which is licensed with a sync license allowing you to juxtapose their nusic to your video. Making your own recording removes the first hurdle but you still have to cover the second.
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network