Recorder preamp "mods" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Recorder preamp "mods"

What's the consensus on getting entry-level recorders modded with better mic pre-amps?

I'm thinking in particular of Oade.com... It would seem to solve the biggest problem with these types of recorders.
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've seen plenty of people opt for the Oade mod, but never heard it. Being in the UK, the mods are not hassle free to arrange. I ended upgrading from a PMD660 (awful preamps, 16bit only) to a Fostex FR2 (rubbish limiters) to a Sound Devices 702T.

The 702T is what I should have coughed up for in the first place. The preamps are superb, the limiters are good and it's a highly robust build quality. Ergonomically I'd also rate the 702T as top notch.

If the only thing you're not happy with is the preamps then the Oade mod is probably worth going for, assuming you get to hear the difference first and like it. If you never want to buy another recorder (well, until you can afford that Cantar or Deva) then Sound Devices gets my vote.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peter Reed View Post
I've seen plenty of people opt for the Oade mod, but never heard it. Being in the UK, the mods are not hassle free to arrange. I ended upgrading from a PMD660 (awful preamps, 16bit only) to a Fostex FR2 (rubbish limiters) to a Sound Devices 702T.
Does anyone who's had experience with both know if the mic preamps and limiters are the same in the Fostex PD6 as the ones on the FR2? Thanks.
Dan Goulder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio