RØDE VideoMic Shotgun Microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Trustee

RØDE VideoMic Shotgun Microphone

Hi

Has anyone used the RØDE VideoMic Shotgun Microphone?
I want to use it on my FX7 Camcorder. The specs sound OK.
http://www.ltf-uk.com/html/videomics.html

Stelios
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Major Player

- I use it. It works.
- Haven't used any other mic.
- Probably need a windscreen to use it outdoors.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

You might try using the search tool. There's about 177 references to this mic on this forum searching by "Rode Video Mic." It all depends on what you will be using it for, in what setting etc, etc. The other posts are helpful, if for no other reason than it will help you identify your needs and ask a specific question.

Cheers,
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Rode VM (Superglue tip)

Yes it's pretty good! In fact, it's recently come down in price and in my view can't be beaten at the price point it's at. You will definitely need the "dead cat" for any outdoor stuff so make sure you buy that as well to use from day 1. I use mine on Sony HC1 and PD150 (with Rode XLR conversion plug & Phantom power OFF!) My video mate who has a Sennheiser ME66 has commented that it's a sweet mic - after initially turning his nose up at it! (as it has a 3.5mm minijack, not XLR.)

One thing you will find with the Videomic is the rubber "o" rings on the suspension keep coming off when it's in your camera bag - they supply you with 4 spares anyway but it was a pain putting them back on all the time.

The solution is easy. Just dab a tiny amount of Superglue on the supporting luggs - they never come off now! (but can still be peeled off when they perish.)

I also have the Rode Stereo Videomic. That too is excellent for ambient sound capture (and comes with dead cat supplied as it should be used on at all times.) It's much heavier than the VM as it's an all metal body construction - no issue for me as I'm tripoding 99% of the time. As expected, it's not got the rear/side rejection of the Videomic.

Hope this helps - and as has just been pointed out there is a lot about the VM and SVM in this Forum so try searching around a bit but it was worth posting this for the superglue tip I think!
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
...I also have the Rode Stereo Videomic. That too is excellent for ambient sound capture (and comes with dead cat supplied as it should be used on at all times.) It's much heavier than the VM as it's an all metal body construction - no issue for me as I'm tripoding 99% of the time. As expected, it's not got the rear/side rejection of the Videomic.
Thanks Andy

I see you also have the Stereo Videomic as well. Besides the stereo thing how does it compare with the Videomic? Do you really need both?
and what is a "dead cat" ?

Another mike that I consider is the Audio Technica ATR55. Any thoughts on this one?

Stelios
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Stelios,
I've had a Rode Videomic for about a year, and I like it. I have noticed that its high frequency response is slightly less than that of my old EV1750 mic, so it doesn't have quite as much "presence". But still, it's not bad; and is an amazing bargain for the price. Here's a link to some test recordings of various mics, including the Videomic:

http://www.dvcreators.net/shotgun-shootout/

Ken Hull

P.S. -- check out the recording of the Sennheiser MKH-416. Many audio pros say it's one of the best mics you can get.

Last edited by Ken Hull; December 16th, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dead Cat & Rode SVM versus VM

Dead cat is what people sometimes nickname the fluffy overcovering that sound guys put on mikes to make them less suspeptible to wind noise. It goes over the top of the foam covering.

My advice is buy one mike, get to know it really well (strengths and limitations) then decide what and when your next purchase might be.

Of the two Rodes the Videomic is (in my opinion) the most suitable one for someone starting out, not the Stereo Videomic. It'll give you 10X better sound than most camcorder on board mikes for a very small outlay.

Can't comment on your other mike suggestion (ATR55)....my advice is try searching the All Things Audio section and read people's comments!
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Dead cat is what people sometimes nickname the fluffy overcovering that sound guys put on mikes to make them less suspeptible to wind noise. It goes over the top of the foam covering.

My advice is buy one mike, get to know it really well (strengths and limitations) then decide what and when your next purchase might be.

Of the two Rodes the Videomic is (in my opinion) the most suitable one for someone starting out, not the Stereo Videomic. It'll give you 10X better sound than most camcorder on board mikes for a very small outlay.

Can't comment on your other mike suggestion (ATR55)....my advice is try searching the All Things Audio section and read people's comments!
You are quite right. I am currently testing out the SVM and I find that it is a technically adequate microphone for better-than-average sound. I have my SVM coupled to the HD3 from JVC and I find that in that combination that the band-passing mode (low noise cut-off) can cause the camera to drop out the sound completely and cause a dead-air flutter. This is part of knowing when to cut 10dB and trim the sound and when not to. So I agree with the idea of "knowing" the tools. When a microphone has two switches for mode that means it has 4 operational combinations. So that is at least 4 ways to use the SVM on the camera. Then comes using the SVM on a Rode boom and so on. I found the performance in wind up to 20 knots to be flawless. The leaves in the trees were recorded crisp and clear but the noise around the body of the camera and the "dead cat" were inaudible. Then also some claim to have focus noise and camera noise. This is a design clash which promity causes. I have no such noise on the camera from JVC. The motors must be ultrasonic or super-silent. I would gladly buy another Rode videomic product. The windshield is mandatory though. Optional on the mono unit and included in the stereo unit.

http://www.benzmodz.com/rode4.jpg <<< A photo of the setup with a hood from ebay.
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #9
Tourist

rode - stellar warranty and service

I have owned the Rode NT1 and the Rode NT1000. These mics are XLR based and not designed for video use. What I want to mention is my experience with Rode service. In the age of dismal customer service Rode came through when my NT1000 hit a hardwood floor and damaged the mic. I called Rode and they gave me an RMA #. I shipped the mic in with a letter explaining that i had dropped the mic and to contact me with repair costs. The mic came back about two weeks later with a work order showing the total for replaced parts and labor near $300. What was also included was my mic fully repaired and factory spec tested at no charge. I was sitting there dumbfounded listening to my repaired mic - which sounded perfect - with no red tape or any cost for repair! I plan on purchasing the VideoMic if not for an inexpensive shotgun mic, perhaps an inexpensive boom mic. The quality on past Rode products I have used has been terrific. What has your experience been with the Rode VideoMic?
Sean Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #10
Trustee

I use the Rode NTG-1 with a dead cat, great sound indoors,outdoors good all round mic, cant go wrong with this one.

Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I brought myself a videomic for christmas last year, used it in many indoor and outdoor situations, really clear audio never let me down. wouldn't hesitate buying another rode product either.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have used the Rode Video and Stereomic for about one year now. The only thing i don't like is that the videomic is so sensitive that it picks up the noise the rubber rings make when the mic is 'moving around' in the shock mount. But if you are on a budget this mic is the way to go. I use it alongside the stereomic and a shure sm58.
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Hi

Has anyone used the RØDE VideoMic Shotgun Microphone?
I want to use it on my FX7 Camcorder. The specs sound OK.
http://www.ltf-uk.com/html/videomics.html

Stelios
I have short videos of each in the Video Folder of my Online Archive
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #14
Trustee

Thanks Ty
Pity though that I can't open the RodeVideoMic. mp4. What program supports mp4?

Stelios
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hello Stelios,

mp4 is a pretty universal file format. Knowing nothing about your computer system, it would be impossible for me to guess what program would work. I'm on a Mac. Quicktime works for me.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio